Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dewalt plunge saw

dewalt plunge saw

I am thinking about buying the dewalt plunge saw. I want to be able to rip and cross cut 4'x8' ply. What would you guys suggest for tracks? Two 59"?

Seems woodcraft has the best deals right now.

Thanks,

deck

This may be a little off subject, but after reading the recent comparison of the Festool, Dewalt, and Makita systems, why not spend another $50 (Woodcraft prices) and get the Festool?

Nothing wrong with the Dewalt. Works perfect. All the reviews say is buy Festool as it was first. A few differences: the Dewalt can use the Dewalt tracksaw blades and the Festool tracksaw blades (Festool can only use their blades), Dewalt has anti kickback option, Dewalt quick clamps are MUCH cheaper than Festool, and the Dewalt track has a router carriage option (use a saw or router on the track), and the Dewalt saw works on all of festool's tracks. Festool has the little anti splinter plastic piece. Wonder why you NEVER read about these differences in teh reviews . I personally think the Dewalt plunge action is superior (it actually plunges and not pivots like the festool). Try them both out and see what I mean.

You can order your Dewalt tracksaw from amazon and not pay shipping or tax (in most states) and can support SMC by using their amazon link. Up to you. They also sell a $480 kit with a 59" track or a $550 kit with the 102" track.

I have a 102 and a 59 track. Two 59" tracks would be the most portable setup. I use mine in the shop mostly and these two tracks work for whatever I need.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Deck,

I would suggest 2-59" rails. 118 makes a nice size - I've connected 2-55" rails on my Festool system and wished for more length for a 97" cut .
    The DeWalt looks like a nicely made saw, I took a look at one at a local tool store. Slid real nice on the rails and was very solid, just a little large and heavy.

Good luck,

Pete

Thanks for the comments guys. I have read several comparison reviews on the dewalt vs festool. It really doesn't seem like there are any major reason to buy one over the other. Since the price is less on the dewalt and I have had such good luck with my dewalt sander, plate jointer, drill, recip saw, planner, and circular saw I thought I would stay yellow .

deck

I have the Festool (bought before there was a yellow one) and bought 2- 55" tracks for it...thinking how clever that was. Since then I've came to realize that I should have instead a 48" or so track and a 75" or so track. Would be a lot more versatile for the stuff I do, which is breaking down sheet goods, straight edging rough cut lumber, and occassionally trimming a door.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Deck Reagan View Post
    I am thinking about buying the dewalt plunge saw. I want to be able to rip and cross cut 4'x8' ply. What would you guys suggest for tracks? Two 59"?

Seems woodcraft has the best deals right now.

Thanks,

deck

Is the EZ system not something you want? I actually never compared all these system, I just bought an EZ and can't really wish for more. It breaks down sheet goods quickly and with the square attachment, I don't even mess with the clamps for crosscutting sheets.

Robert,
    I am looking at the EZ system. It just seems like the cost on the EZ is getting in the $300 range. I need to weigh the costs and decide which system makes the most sense.

deck

I played around with the DeWalt at the AWFS last week and it is a slick system. You can run the saw on both sides of the track and the router attachment is nice if you have a DeWalt or PC router. It had plenty of power to straight line some 6/4 oak that they had for testing and honestly the cut was so smooth, I could not see any scratches from the blade -- I was impressed. It worked well on plywood too -- there was a very, very minor amount of tearout on the waste side of the saw and this is something the Festool seems to have addressed, but I am not sure that it is so bad that you would ever see it -- I am talking very minor here. The clamps work well and the track was ridgid. I talked to the guy at DeWalt responsible for the system and he told me that there are plans to develop more in the future (i.e. maybe a track with holes for pins, etc...). I like Festool stuff and I was really impressed with the DeWalt -- it is nice to see some competition in the market. As Mike said, the plunge seemed to work better for me. Also, you can cut extremely close to an edge -- trim a door while it is hung, flooring cust next to a wall, etc...

Scot

Question?
    Is a guided rail system that much better?

I use a straight edge I got at Lowe's (Pic below) for $20. I use a $15 60t blade (Freud) From Home Depot in a 7 1/4" circular saw. I can get zero chip out on veiner plywood.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Smile I have a . . .

I have a Dewalt Track Saw & like very much the ability to cut arrow straight lines in sheet goods.

I'm sure for "old" pros that have cut 100's of sheets, the straight edge & (2) C-Clamps, works just fine.

I have used the Dewalt for (3) projects so far & I can assure you it's 10X better than a aluminum straight edge and (2) C-Clamps. Repeatability is excellent . . . . just lay the black edge down, splitting the line and you get it just like it was marked . . . .

Yes, it is pricey, but I feel any tool that will allow me to do more projects is worth the money . . . .

Some of us have more money than time . . .

Some of us have more time than money . . . .

And then, there are those of us who have neither . . . .

Those are the ones that buy Dewalt Track Saws on a VISA Card . . .
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

dave,
    I use the same set up today. I also don't get much tear out. I just don't like the fact that I could have a little drift if I don't go very careful. I look forward to some type of track to hold everything in place.

deck

Smile You get . .

Quote Originally Posted by Deck Reagan View Post
    dave,
    I use the same set up today. I also don't get much tear out. I just don't like the fact that I could have a little drift if I don't go very careful. I look forward to some type of track to hold everything in place.

deck
    You get zero drift with the Dewalt . . . . if you can pull the trigger and push, it cuts . . . .

Steve
    Support the "CREEK" . . .

Steve,
    Do you use clamps on your dewalt track saw?

Thanks,

deck

15. I Just bought the Dewalt with the two tracks. 2 59" would have been better than the 59/102 combination. 102 isn't long enough for a length of melamine, but the two together are too much. It would be nice if Dewalt offered a 2' extension, or if they just added a few inches to the 102. Otherwise the saw is very nice. Been using the straight edge with clamps for too long and tired of cleaning up the edges to make the wood usable.