Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I picked up my Jet 1442......

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Don't get either. Get the Jet 1642 ... which is a better machine than either of those. No swiveling headstock and EVS. But since you are in the mood for Jet bashing, feel free to disregard this post.
    why don't you buy a vb36?
    lurk on....

and I really don't want EVS even if I COULD afford one. Which I definitely can't. No corporate money coming in here. There's something to be said about simplicity.....easy to fix, cheap to fix, built to last. that's what I want. I refuse to buy in to the corporate "throw away society" we have become. I believe in fixing, not throwing away or replacing and One day EVS WILL go out and I'm guessing to fix that would be the price of a new lathe. The only EVS I'd buy is the nova dvr with its 5 year warranty.

What an amazing thread.

I own a 1442 and have had no issues with it. It's a nice lathe. I don't understand bashing Jet lathes simply due to a perceived problem you experienced with a used model. Jet has one of the best reputations in the mass production lathe market, and for good reason: They make quality lathes that were designed "by and for woodturners".

So, you don't want a quality lathe and you don't want a piece of junk.

What do you want?
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy View Post
    What an amazing thread.

I own a 1442 and have had no issues with it. It's a nice lathe. I don't understand bashing Jet lathes simply due to a perceived problem you experienced with a used model. Jet has one of the best reputations in the mass production lathe market, and for good reason: They make quality lathes that were designed "by and for woodturners".

So, you don't want a quality lathe and you don't want a piece of junk.

What do you want?
    what exactly did I say to bash jet??? that my only experience was a bad one? that's one for one. 100% If I did bash jet in general It did't come out right. I thought that I bashed an experience and swivel head lathes more than jets, but have been more educated, It must be frustration of waking up to some crazed swede yelling obsenities at me before daybreak....or that I've bought 3 lathes this year and with all that money together I could have bought a powermatic. or that or the fact that I'm human and not scared to show it. or possibly just a freak with a crazy life.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Novotny View Post
    or possibly just a freak with a crazy life.
    Do I hear an Amen?

I think you ought to give jet another chance. As far as other lathes go though.

I had the General 12" lathe with the swiveling headstock that could also slide on the bed, I absolutely loved it, I did have a problem with the lathe to begin with, the motor stopped working after a few weeks but I called them and they replaced the headstock all free of charge, then after that I had it for a year and never had another problem with it. This motor going out was a big problem for most of their 2007 lathes of this model. But when it got fixed I was happy to report it was a great lathe. Only reason I sold it was because I was getting a mustard.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g...he/25-200.html

You don't want EVS, but you want a quality lathe. Simple is good. I'm fine with that. The Nova 1624-44 has been suggested repeatedly. Maybe there's a pattern there.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie nyvall View Post
    do i hear an amen?
    amen !!!!!!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Brian all I can say from reading all your posts and you not wanting a lathe with EVS I would say for the money and keeping it simple I would buy the Nova 1624-44.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Novotny View Post
    I refuse to buy in to the corporate "throw away society" we have become. I believe in fixing, not throwing away or replacing and One day EVS WILL go out and I'm guessing to fix that would be the price of a new lathe. The only EVS I'd buy is the nova dvr with its 5 year warranty.
    I bought a 16" delta made in the 80's and put evs on it buying a used motor and a new vfd drive. With switches and all it cost me less than $300. Just because something has all the bells and wistles doesn't mean it 30years it is junk and can't be fixed. I would gladly take an old powermatic the the evs was broke on and fix it up.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns View Post
    amen !!!!!!
    Halleleujah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Halleleujah!
    Praise the Lord and pass the popcorn! I've learned more about lathes in this thread than I though possible.

Brian, slow down, take a deep breath, and think about some of the things you're saying. Brutha, you ain't makin much sense!