Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: See this about Shiraz Balolia, Grizzly tools.

See this about Shiraz Balolia, Grizzly tools.

Interesting info about Shiraz Balolia

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...in+Shiraz.aspx
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

.....we may want to watch how we word our customer service complaints to Grizzly in the future.....

Well shoot, that changes my opinion of Griz a little bit. I may actually buy something now! Thats quite an acheivment to get to that level.

Neat stuff there.
    And I think 200 yards is a long shot at a deer.

As a former rifle benchrest shooter and official and a former pistol silhouette competitor, I can appreciate his accomplishments! That is cool!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That is cool! I know a guy that used to compete, but I think his was a longer distance bigger, target. I remember him talking about the price of his gun. I think it was right up there with the price of my last vehicle!! But somehow I expected Shiraz to be a little larger in stature than the picture makes him look (picture could be deceiving). Maybe it's just the "Grizzly" concept in my mind. You think he prints out pages from the forums and puts them up as targets?? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    You think he prints out pages from the forums and puts them up as targets?? Jim.
    Just the avatars of the complainers, whiners etc......
    Ken

think his gun stock was milled with his onw brand of tools?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sollars View Post
    .....we may want to watch how we word our customer service complaints to Grizzly in the future.....
    Yeah.
    Do ya feel lucky punk? Well do ya?
    Use the fence Luke

...not to diminish his accomplishments, as they are impressive, but we fired worn out M-16s out to 500 meters to qualify...so using custom rifles, and fancy tri/bi-pods..not to mention high dollar optics makes shooting those targets @ 1200 yds a tad easier.....
    Give an honest days work for an honest days pay

I was aware Shiraz was a shooter, not aware of his level of competition.

Congradulations to Shiraz and team USA, good job!

Ed

Question

Please explain just what is a single-shot, bolt-action 6.5-284 caliber rifle?

I understand the single shot, bolt-action part, but the not 6.5-284 part.
    Best Regards, Ken

Ken,

The 1st number refers to bullet diameter and usually the last number refers to the case caliber.

For example, I hunt elk with a 338-06

That's a .338 diameter bullet and a 30-06 case. In this case, the neck of the case would be opened up to accept the .338 inch bullet.

The oldest reloading manuals I have are 15 or more years old and I can't find 6.5-284 however...normally it would mean a bullet diameter of 6.5mm and a 284 Winchester case.

I also hunt with a 7mm-06...also known as a 280 Remington
    7mm diameter bullet.....30-06 case.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-30-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Ken

A little info on the 6.5-284.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Edwards View Post
    ...not to diminish his accomplishments, as they are impressive, but we fired worn out M-16s out to 500 meters to qualify...so using custom rifles, and fancy tri/bi-pods..not to mention high dollar optics makes shooting those targets @ 1200 yds a tad easier.....
    Butch, you are comparing apples to watermelons!

I fire thousands of rounds through my M4 each month and would consider myself an expert on it, including it's ballastics.

A 5.56 round has a max effective range of 500 meters - that's why we shoot that far. In that dstance the bullet drops about 8 feet.

At it's max range of 3600 meters, it has a bullet drop of over 40 feet!!!

Take windage into account at distances beyond 1000 meters and you can put a round in the next county without compensating.

And that's not mentioning the fact that in addition to distance and windage, at those distances you have to take temperature and humidity into account. The amount of sunlight/shadow the bullet will cross in it's trajectory. It's not quite as simple as you think.

I'll fire the 50 cal out to 2000 meters (just beyond it's max effective range of 1830 meters) no problem as I walk the rounds in, but I'd never consider me being anywhere close to qualified to fire rounds in excess of 1000 meters no matter the gun or optics. BTW, the 50 cal has a max range of 6812 meters - that's over 4 miles!!!

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 07-30-2009 at 5:42 PM. Reason: typo