Thread: 4.5 Bailey - W/O frog adjustment

4.5 Bailey - W/O frog adjustment

While waiting for the new blades to arrive for my 4.5 and my 8C - I went on a couple of the plane guru sites and discovered that my 4.5 looks like it is from the WWII era.

They mention that many of the planes from that period do not have the frog adjuster -- often never even drilled.

Why do you thing this was ? Was it just cost?

They did not save all that much by not drilling one hole!

Mine has no holes at all

As I understand it., it was a matter of skilled labor -- in those days, skilled machinists were in great demand for making, armaments.

FWIW, I have a type 8 #4 1/2, made before they originally added the frog adjustment screw, and I don't miss it. I ust leave that plane adjusted for a fine cut, and everything is, well, fine.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post
    While waiting for the new blades to arrive for my 4.5 and my 8C - I went on a couple of the plane guru sites and discovered that my 4.5 looks like it is from the WWII era.

They mention that many of the planes from that period do not have the frog adjuster -- often never even drilled.

Mine has no holes at all
    Some have only one of the needed holes.

Me thinks Billy gave the right answer, but when it comes down to them having one but not the other hole, I often wonder if one of the machine operators was drafted.

jim

Blog Entries
    BTW, I have a type 6 #4-1/2 and like it very much. After having planes with an adjuster and not using it much, my decision was to buy earlier planes because they are usually a little cheaper.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    BTW, I have a type 6 #4-1/2 and like it very much. After having planes with an adjuster and not using it much, my decision was to buy earlier planes because they are usually a little cheaper.

jim
    Ditto. My 4 1/2 is a type 8. Once I got it dialed in for a very fine shaving, I've had no need to adjust the frog. If I want to take a heavier cut, I reach for a 4.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Godley View Post

Mine has no holes at all
    Undoubtedly a question of cost control: hole to be drilled after setting up work piece, hole to be tapped, one grooved screw to be made, one short screw for tab, tab seat to be machined ,tab to be made-and all assembled x thousands= additional cost.
    That assembly also provides a back up for the two screws holding the frog to the base.
    The ones without frog adjusters have other evidence of economising in the form of that flimsy lateral lever with the bent over tab, for example, or the lever cap without spring tab....