Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pig Skin

Wink

Steve - I went out and invested in a few of those wooden cross-stitch thingies (Michaels has them from a few inches to 18") and I lock all the leather into those before I start anything - otherwise it rolls up like the deep sea scroll and smells like them too. The jigs take care of the rolling - I'm going to try vicks under my nose for the smell next time (old EMS trick for those homes you really don't want to enter!)

Great idea Tom!!!!!!!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve, did you try a lower resolution like 300 dpi.?

Curt
    Epilog Helix 45W w/Rotary, Corel 12, PhotoGrav

Steve, I once did very thin calf and it worked out very good, cutting as well as engraving. Maybe the difference was that I has a larger piece where to logo was in the center. But no curling or anything at the cut etches or engraving area. I used 300dpi - 100 Power and 35 Speed for the engraving, and you even see gray shading

Belinda, when I cut calf it somehow smells like cow on the grill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

I burn pig skin a lot, but I use it as a liner so it is glued to another piece of leather, which keeps it from rolling up. I usually burn at 100s 17p. might try some double stick tape .

I think next time I'll try using a bigger piece and either the tape or the cross stitch thing,

I did try all different dpi's too....150-1200 with varying powers......it was the curling that caused the problem though....not necessarily the burning.

It did cut beautifully at 100s 20p,
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

depends on what you wanna do with it, if you use a small piece of leather and want to fix it to something else later, you could put some double sided adhasive tape to the back, leave the protective film on, and cut through the tape also - that way you don't have to worry about curling or the shape of the tape

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen