Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Shop-Built TS Outfeed Table

My Shop-Built TS Outfeed Table

After finishing the mobile base for my new (to me) Grizzly G1023 TS, my next project was a replacement for the LOML... and by THAT I mean an outfeed table so she can stop catching long cutoffs...
    I got the plans for this one in the Feb 2009 issue of Woodworkers Journal - I really like that the support leg rests on the side of the table saw (or per my modification, on the mobile base) so that the saw is still mobile even with the table in the upright position. I also really like the fold-down design so I can get it out of the way when not needed. On to the pictures:

Sure is pretty. Top is made from two pieces of 3/4'' Maple Faced MDF Core ply laminated together and edged with some of the reclaimed pine I got cheap (picked up a bunch of 12/4 by 8'' wide beams from an OOOOLLD barn).

Another view. The mounting plate is bolted to the back rail with lag screws, and also made from the pine. I finished everything with 3 coats of poly, and about 10 coats of paste wax.

My TS looks like an aircraft carrier now... the outfeed table is 40'' wide by ~30'' deep/long.

Heres the support leg. Its basically a giant sliding dovetail - the bottom of the leg just sits on a cleat that I glued/screwed to the side of my mobile base. Note also my shop helper in the background heading to shovel the sawdust out from the TS cabinet...

The support leg pivots there at the top. The bottom barrel bolt holds the leg to the bottom of the table so its not swinging around as you try to lower it. The larger barrel bolt mounted onto the sliding extension piece is what actually holds the table up. Here the sliding extension is shown retracted for when you flip the table down - for the upright position I just slide it down to engage in the receiver piece lower down.

And here it is folded down.

Side view - everything folds away nicely.

And heres my son Ben, showing proper technique for changing the blade height. As you can tell from his cleanliness here, this picture was taken before his aformentioned cleaning up of sawdust.

And thats all - thanks for looking, and sorry to those of you with dialup.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jason, Very nice and useful work. I saw your splitter thread, slick thinking. Keep your helper interested and safe, Craig

Looks great. I need to add one of those to my tablesaw. Hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea. I like how it folds flat for easier storage. Thanks for the post.
    Matt

Jason, ditto on the thanks for the post.

Was mulling over my lack of outfeed help here recently, and this is great fodder for jump starting me. Also kudos for the reference to where to look for the plans.

I like the outfeed table's mobility as well. Looks pretty sturdy to boot.

Thanks bud.

T

Very nice outfeed table!
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Nice job. An outfeed is not only a great convenience but a solid safety item as well. Looks great.

P.s. If you attach the pics instead of inserting them into the thread you won't have to worry about dialup users so much ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jason,

Nice job on the outfeed table. I have a Grizzly 1023 and an outfeed table is one of my future plans, probably this winter. Nice design. My table saw is stationary and has the wide rip fence, so I wont have to worry about mobility, but I like the way it can fold up.

Nice job on the mobil base, too.

Great job on the outfeed table. I have a G1023 also and went a couple years before I copied another creekers design and built it. Now that I have it, I shake my head thinking how did I ever get by without it. In a small shop, a foldable outfeed table is a MUST. Super work!!!

Nice looking outfeed! I need to make one of these, especially foldable since my shop is so small.

Is that a ruler from a square that you are using as a splitter?

Nice job! Have you considered sending this to one of the WW magazines? You could win a tool.

looks great. I saved the article to build one too... someday
    Gary

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I think all I have left to make in the 'pimping out my TS" dept. is a crosscut sled.
    And of course a tall aux fence for raised panels and such.
    And a tenoning jig.
    And a tapering jig.
    And a few more feather boards.
    And some new zero-clearance inserts.
    Ahh crap, I gotta go get to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Is that a ruler from a square that you are using as a splitter?
    Yes, Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schapansky
    Nice job! Have you considered sending this to one of the WW magazines? You could win a tool.
    Really? I never even thought of that. I did get the plans from Woordworkers Journal, so I dont know if theyd give me anything for originality...
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

great build

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nice job. An outfeed is not only a great convenience but a solid safety item as well. Looks great.

P.s. If you attach the pics instead of inserting them into the thread you won't have to worry about dialup users so much ;-)
    12,000+ posts... Your dialup is doing pretty good. At least it has paid for itself. Of all the pis you have posted your speed is not that bad. (Or you spend more time at the computer than the shop.)

BTW - I have the same saw AND a small shop. An out feed table, doubled as a bench, doubled as an assembly table, doubled as a general work space (2+2+2=4), helps to economize on space.
    Nice build.

I built the same one for my saw it works great the fold away feature is very nice.