Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling the Shop

Cooling the Shop

Well my Saturday was spent installing a bigger A/C unit. The first one I had (4500 btu) worked well when cooling just the clockshop side as I have about R41 valve in my walls and R 36 in the attic but when I started turning the woodshop side was always hot mainly because of the garage door and it faced south plus it was brown. So you can guess it radiated the heat. Well I took some 1 1/2" styrofoam and insulated the panels. Then today I installed a 10,500 btu unit and it is going to be nice in there. In 25 minutes it had cooled it from 82* down to 73*. I am looking forward to turning without sweat running in my eyes from the headband of my face shield. Thought I would put a little molding around it to make it look nice. Well ok those were my instructions from the LOML to make it look nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

As if you didn't have enough to do! Glad to see you got it installed and everything is working the way it should!

Never have to worry about heat in my shop cause it is in the basement and the hottest it gets in the summer is close to 65*. Course it is all a matter of what you get used to and I probably sweat more at 65* than most folks at 100*!

Happy turning Bernie!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I could use one of those on my shop! Remember last winter I asked about heating? Its heated up now.

Bernie, glad you can be comfortable while turning...I finally turned mine on a few days ago because the humidity is so thick here laquer wont dry
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Bernie,

I wish my shop was 82. It has been a hot summer hear if it is 90 in my shop that is a good day. I tend to be lazy this time of year.

By the way congratulations on your AC. I hope next year to put a couple in my shop.

Alan

72?????

I think 72 is the high temp for us this year...........If you want a cooler shop move up here to Alaska...........There are some trade offs though, and winter is coming fast....LOL
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Looks very professional!
    Enjoy, Buddy.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Way to go Bernie! I keep the shop about 74, even when it is 100 outside, which it has been a lot lately. Can easily work up a sweat at 74, would much prefer 70, but the electricity budget and the power grid will only stand so much. My shop cat tolerates 90 pretty well and quiet outside, but will choose 74 plus various tool noises inside over 100 outside.
    Richard in Wimberley

What a concept!

When I was in my shop for a very brief moment the other day, it was 110 degrees inside. That was at 10:00 PM. I think I'd be happy with 82 degrees!

Thanks all. Yep it sure does feel good. I hate it when wearing a face shield and sweat dripping in my eyes. I took after my mother and sweat a lot. I have to make myself drink water to keep hydrated.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    As if you didn't have enough to do! Glad to see you got it installed and everything is working the way it should!

Never have to worry about heat in my shop cause it is in the basement and the hottest it gets in the summer is close to 65*. Course it is all a matter of what you get used to and I probably sweat more at 65* than most folks at 100*!

Happy turning Bernie!
    High of 65! I wish my basement/shop stayed that cool. 85 isn't that bad and fortunately fans make it bareable.

Nothing better than a heated and air conditioned shop. When I built mine, I had a Mitsubishi mini-split installed. Extremely quiet and does a great job. Had it at 78 when the outside temperature here in the Willamette Valley hit 107 this past week. If we didn't have a basement we would have slept out in the shop then...a fella has to have his priorities ya know.

Congrats on a cool shop Bernie! Just a tip,,,think about additional filtering over the intake. I about killed mine due to sucking in sanding dust. Caught it in time though. I attached some 2" thick foam over the intake so I could see when things were getting thick...Bill..

May have to do something like that in the future however July had only two day over 90 here in Lincoln. I think 7th coolest on record. Looks like coming week will be back in 90's and more like summer. I know heat will not be a problem in a few weeks so thinking more about how to keep warm for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Miller View Post
    I think 72 is the high temp for us this year...........If you want a cooler shop move up here to Alaska...........There are some trade offs though, and winter is coming fast....LOL
    High of 72 sounds real nice, low of -40.....not so nice.....