Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese vs. Western Chisels

Japanese vs. Western Chisels

My wife has asked that I put together a birthday/christmas wish list (this is pretty much my only time of the year to acquire new tools) and this year my attention has turned to chisels. So far I've worked with a crumby set of Bucks Brothers from HD that I've had to sharpen way too often. I would like to take this opportunity to jump up in quality dramatically, but not sure which direction to leap. My question is how would those who have experience compare a decent white steel Japanese chisel to something along the lines of Two Cherries or Hirsch? I switched from Scary sharp to waterstones last year and have been using the veritas jig with good results. I'm curious about ease of maintanance, rust prevention, etc, in addtition to just all around usability. I know that either way I go I'd probably be amazed in comparison to what I'm used to, but I'd like to get as much input as I can on the differences before I start accumulating either type.

Thanks to any and all who can offer their views.

I'd just get a couple of each and sharpen and use them. You may strongly prefer one over the other or find that they are good at different tasks.
    Either way it sounds like you'll be making a nice step up.

Hi! I have a couple of Ashley Ilses which I like, but I really like Nishiki chisels (especially the paring chisels.) I had some Two Cherries, which were very nice, but they just never felt right in my hand. In my very limited experience, most chisels will require about the same amount of care (from rust, etc.) The ability to hold an edge (and therefore the amount of sharpening necessary) seems to be the big difference. If I lived in an area with tool stores, I would handle as many types as I could, check with the group on the quality of steel, and then make a decision. I have to do the purchase and see type of choosing here in the desert of California. I got lucky with the ones I have. Good luck
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I bought two medium quality chisels from Japanwoodworker last year. Each one chipped the first or second time I used them. Big chips.

Seems the Japanese chisels work best on soft woods.

I now have a set of Robert Sorby bevel edged chisels that take an edge nicely, but the edge rolls after a bit of use. Had a opportunity to do a hands on with the new Lie-Nielsen chisels. VERY nice! Think I'll get a set.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

I have both and think trying both is a good idea. I have had no problems with the Japanese chisels. You need to select the correct one for the task.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have both and think trying both is a good idea. I have had no problems with the Japanese chisels. You need to select the correct one for the task.
    So do you have a preference, Mark? Or do you find each style suited to different tasks?

James,
    I guess it depends on the task. The Japanese chisels hold an edge well and are great for paring. I also have Hirsch, Ashley Iles, Nootegoten...all very good. I have some older Stanley's and Marples. I use the mortise chisels for heavier jobs and older ones to rough out leaving the finer ones for paring and dovetails. It is nice to have a very small 1/8" or less for small dovetails. The longer chisels are better for 2 hand work. The Japanese chisels should be sharpened by hand and not even on the Tormek. Broad ones are handy for "rocking" to trim veneer or edge banding.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Perata
    I bought two medium quality chisels from Japanwoodworker last year. Each one chipped the first or second time I used them. Big chips. Seems the Japanese chisels work best on soft woods.
    Sorry to hear that, but it's a common complaint from new users of japanese chisels. It could be that you got a couple of bum chisels, but it's equally likely to be in your technique. Japanese chisels are much harder (on a Rockwell scale) than most western chisels and especially inexpensive modern ones (think Blue Chip). So you may have to unlearn some habits.

You don't want to use japanese chisels as prying tools to lever chips out of a mortice. You keep the chisel sharp and chop the waste out. Once you stop prying and start chopping you can cut mortices in any wood soft or hard.

Thanks for the tip, Dave...I'll have to try that with mine. Choping and paring and nothing else with Japanese chisels, right?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris,
    Shredding, dicing, choping, tossing ....you obviously need the Jeg a Matic...not sold in stores and if you act right now we will throw in a free set of steak knives!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Chris,
    Shredding, dicing, choping, tossing ....you obviously need the Jeg a Matic...not sold in stores and if you act right now we will throw in a free set of steak knives!
    Wow, got my CC ready, where's the 800 number? Do they slice and dice, too?

You don't want to use japanese chisels as prying tools to lever chips out of a mortice...
    I do that almost every day with Japanese chisels....mortise chisels are designed to lever out waste....if yours won't do it without chipping, there is something else wrong, either in technique or steel.

http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...n_Mortises.htm
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

No disagreement here. Think of the term "pry" as having a lot of degrees of intensity. If you use a japanese chisel at Rockwell 65 vs a western pigsticker at Rockwell 58 (assuming they are both good quality steel carefully heat treated, etc). You'll be able to do more serious prying with the western pigsticker. You might have to adjust your technique when switching from one to the other...

The way I was taught to use japanese chisels in morticing involves very little prying - more like flicking the chips out of the way. The *harder* you pry the less time your edge will stay super sharp - and that super sharp cutting edge is why I'm using japanese chisels in the first place.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Hi, Dave. Nice to see another woodworker from Oregon visiting the Creek!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burnard
    No disagreement here. Think of the term "pry" as having a lot of degrees of intensity. If you use a japanese chisel at Rockwell 65 vs a western pigsticker at Rockwell 58 (assuming they are both good quality steel carefully heat treated, etc). You'll be able to do more serious prying with the western pigsticker. You might have to adjust your technique when switching from one to the other...
    Dave,

Here is my experience - I have Iyoroi japanese mortise chisels from Joel at toolsforwoodworking.com.

I mortised madrone - similar to hard maple both in density and workability. I cut 7/8 to 3/4 inch deep mortises in 6 passes....around 1/8 inch deep per levering. I did eventually get some microchipping on the edges...after about 8 mortises like this, each around 3 inches long. 1/8 inch deep chips - I had to pry, not simply flick them out. YMMV.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....