Thread: A really tough PAINT or OPAQUE STAIN for MDF furniture?

A really tough PAINT or OPAQUE STAIN for MDF furniture?

I’m making a pedestal table base from lightweight MDF. I want to paint or stain it a very dark burgundy color, nearly black, hopefully ending up with a semi-gloss / satin surface.

The finish needs to be EXTREMELY DURABLE to fend off damage from shoes, vacuum cleaners, Tonka trucks, etc.

Any recommendations for a PAINT that would fulfill those requirements? Epoxy? Enamel? Nautical? Mythical?

Or is there something I could use to STAIN the MDF, so the color sinks into the surface? And then apply a tough, protective clear coat (satin) over that?

You can stain or paint the MDF followed by several coats of poly. Why not cover it with vertical, black laminate?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

An oil based enamel, will be very durable, no top coat required.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

If you are expecting the paint to harden the MDF and protect it from all that abuse
    I vote Mythical.

Don't stain, first spray a sealer coat of a post cat conversion varnish, then spray many thinned out coats of the same with a dark dye in it. Put as many coats on as required to get the color you required. Then two final topcoats, thinned slightly.
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 08-03-2009 at 6:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    You can stain or paint the MDF followed by several coats of poly. Why not cover it with vertical, black laminate?
    Phil ==
    The shape doesn't lend itself to applying smooth, flat laminate. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    An oil based enamel, will be very durable, no top coat required.
    Thanks, Scott. I'll start researching oil-based enamels. I know little (nothing) about epoxy paints. I guess I'll study them along with the enamels to see if one is more durable than the other (and conducive to color mixing and the ability to achieve a satin finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    I vote Mythical.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    ...spray a sealer coat of a post cat conversion varnish, then spray many thinned out coats of the same with a dark dye in it. Put as many coats on as required to get the color you required. Then two final topcoats, thinned slightly.
    Never heard of "post cat conversion varnish" but I will do some research.

So do the suggested final two topcoats contain no dye? Just clear varnish, thinned?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burgess View Post

Never heard of "post cat conversion varnish" but I will do some research.

So do the suggested final two topcoats contain no dye? Just clear varnish, thinned?

Thanks
    yes, no dye.