Thread: What’s a good basic roundover bit radius?

What’s a good basic roundover bit radius?

Hello,

I’m still a relative newbie to routing, although I’ve recently done some good routing work on a bookcase that I’m building, but I’d like to expand my router bit inventory.

I don’t yet have a roundover bit, and I’d prefer not to buy more than one roundover bit to begin with. So, what size radius roundover bit would you recommend as a basic one, 1/4 inch radius, 1/2 inch radius, or what? If you were going to buy just one, which radius would you recommend? I'm looking to buy quality, 1/2 inch shank bits, and I'm not looking for inexpensive multi-bit sets.

Thanks,
    Louis

depends of course

If you are working with cabinets and 3/4 deep face frames / edges, I think a 1/4" works well - leaves an initially finished edge in the middle.

But if you are working with deeper stock, of course, or want a true radiused edged, then 1/2 I would say.

1/4" would be my first one. If you intend to simply ease an edge, 1/8" does that well, but 1/4" would be my choice.

I have had good luck with Woodcraft bits, and they sell them for $5 each 2-3 times per year.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I think as the others have stated 1/4 is a good starting point. I use it the most when I think about it. I use it for a lot of stuff, just to knock the edge off jigs and the like.

I have a set of the Woodcraft that have severed very well and I think when it comes to the point I have to replace them I would sure like to try one of these from Freud.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...ud-34-126.aspx

Just now, on another forum, I recommended a 1/4" roundover. It's amazing how often that happens...the same question from different people is posted on different forums.

As for brand, you can't go wrong with Whiteside router bits. When I have time, that's what I use...always 1/2" shank of course. I say "when I have time" because I have to order them. There is no local supplier near me.

When I need a router bit "right now" I have started buying the Freud Diablo brand at Home Depot. So far, I'm impressed with the quality but I still prefer Whiteside.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    For reference; this is an 1/8" radius round over on 3/4" material with a 1" breadboard prior to sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks to all. I'll go with 1/4 inch radius for starters.
    Louis

Good choice. I use that bit so often to knock the edges off of a piece that it's almost always setup in my router table.

Just to be contrary, I'll say 3/8" as it gives the added advantage of being able to bullnose 3/4" stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Musial View Post
    Just to be contrary, I'll say 3/8" as it gives the added advantage of being able to bullnose 3/4" stock.
    That's good to know!

Stephen, the only problem I found with 3/8 on 3/4 is if I have jointed, planed or sanded below 3/4" I have a 3/8" bit cutting the first side. flip it over and now the bearing rides slightly onto the fist curve, causing an uneven bullnose. If the piece is still 3/4 inch, it works with a fence.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I keep a 1/4" roundover bit chucked in a laminate trimmer ... use it more than any other roundover or chamfer bit to take the edge off a piece.