Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Borg lumber Bench kicks your Ipe Bench's butt (looooong gloat)

1. My Borg lumber Bench kicks your Ipe Bench's butt (looooong gloat)

(note - I'm going to poke a little fun at 'pretty' hardwood benches here - it's not meant as an indictment of anyone's bench, and not intended to offend. It's meant to be humorous... I like gorgeous hardwood benches as much as anyone; but sometimes I think we can convey the wrong idea about benches by only posting the multi-species fine furniture style benches.)

OK - I know, I know - the world needs another workbench build thread right now like it needs more Lindsay Lohan exposés - so I won’t go through the build process. I promise. It’s basically a Roubo as Schwarz writes up in his book.

I am, however, going to tell you why my new workbench kicks my pretty, old, over-achiever workbench's butt and sends it home to mommy blubbering, teary, and without its milk money.

So anyway, here is my new bench. She's not especially pretty (though she's not ugly either) but she knows how to treat a woodworker!

A few thoughts on what is so sweeeet about this bench, and why you can't have it.
    1) Doug fir is a great bench wood. Super stiff, good density, and cheap. It does dent pretty easily, but that's a plus as far as I’m concerned – it means the bench will dent before whatever I'm working on. It’s flat, but it’s not smooth, so it has a little friction advantage for holding stock. It’s also unfinished. Completely. So far, not so much as a coat of paste wax. I’m not sure I’ll be able to stick to that strategy (it means I can’t do ANY gluing on the bench) but for now I’m committed to trying it out.

2) Size - I had to rearrange my whole shop to do it, but I finally squeezed an 8-foot bench in, and managed to get three sides accessible for working. 8 feet is ten times as big as 70-inchs (the length of the old bench) and I don't need no math to tell me otherwise.

3) two words: bench. crafted. - well, maybe it's actually one word. I don't know. Anyway - it's the vises, stupid.

First – the tail vise: Why is it so awesome? Because it incorporates all the good bits of a classic tail vise, but it doesn't sag, it operates really really quickly, and it doesn't sag. It’s basically a really well-designed wagon vise, and with a traveling nut instead of a traveling screw. That’s nice, because it means you don’t need a lot of excess space at the end of the bench. And to the best of my knowledge, it is the only complete wagon vise solution currently (and maybe ever) available for purchase. The hardware is seriously beefy, and seriously smooth. It’s just Well Built. Plus, and this is a BIG plus, you can actually WORK on the right corner of the bench without fear that the tail vise is going to sag . Why? . Because this vise doesn't sag.

Last night I did some dovetailing. When it came time to chop the waste – do you know what I did? I put the board in between the dogs, and I chopped the waste. No complicated clamp and holdfast arrangements - I just clamped, chopped, unclamped, flipped, and chopped some more.. And can you guess what the vise DIDN'T do??? Yeah - you guessed it: SAG.

And as far as I can tell, I suspect this vise is pretty much immune to sagging. Did I mention that already? Yup – this is the ultimate wagon vise – and for my money it’s the ultimate tail vise in general.

Glide Leg vise: what can I say about this. If you've seen the video for it, all I can tell you is that it's completely accurate. You just give that wheel a spin like your name was Vanna, and whoosh! Next thing you know your workpiece is locked in.

When I talked to Jameel about it, he told me that he’s still getting used to the fact that the vise really doesn't need any torque at all 99% of the time. I've been putting that to the test, and I couldn't agree more. Set the parallel guide pin, give the wheel the old Vanna spin, watch it lock down and go to work. No handles to rotate, no vowels to buy. Releasing is just as easy.

There are two indispensable bits of innovation in the Glide: the first is the parallel guide support rollers, which mean this thing literally floats along in the horizontal plane. A seriously cool idea. The second is the 'Acetal' bushing that keeps the vise screw stable. It keeps the vise laterally stable, but with almost zero friction. The combination of these two features is what makes the glide glide, and why that handwheel is capable of 10X more torque than you'd ever need.

I knew how incredible the vises were when I ordered them. But what did surprise me, actually, was how easy they are to install. Jameel's instructions are ludicrously complete, including outstanding templates, a video or two, and page upon page of photos, step-by-steps, and recommendations.

So complete, in fact, that I did one of those “dumb ideas” we all know you shouldn’t do: I cut all the pieces, and did all the prep for these vises before the hardware arrived.

Let me be perfectly clear that I DO NOT recommend this. It's a dumb idea. You know it, and I know it. Nonetheless, that's what I did... what can I say? I'm a risk-taker.

And you know what? It all went off without a hitch.

These things are incredibly precisely made - but one of the advantages of that precision, is that they really are forgiving about installation. You CAN screw the installation up, but if you take your time and follow the instruction guide (make sure you print the templates at the right scale ) they're remarkably easy to get working, and working really well.

As with anything this great, there is a price. In this case, that price is – well… the price. I think they’re well worth every penny, and as someone well aware that my vises are probably the most used tools I own, I have zero qualms about the expense - but it costs money to make small runs of such high-tolerance gear; and I know that cost is not something all of us can swing.

So here's my recommendation - if you can afford it, buy a vise (or both) from Benchcrafted - it's money you won't regret.

But even if you can't afford them, spend a bit of time really looking at what he's put into the design. Some of the ideas he's implemented are worthy additions to ANY hardware. I don't really think re-creating the Glide is very feasible (or cost effective) with cheaper hardware, but if cheaper hardware is what you can afford, you might want to consider borrowing from Jameel's roller guide concept. And making a wagon vise from an inexpensive acme screw and wooden parts may not get you as smooth or robust a vise as the BC tail vise, but it will still get you a lot further than any other wagon vise solution you can buy!

So there you have it. Best workbench ever? I don’t know. But it is without a doubt the best one I’ve ever used. And the more I use it, the more I like it.

So tell your Trophy Bloodwood and Hard Maple Euro-bench to be wary – if it wants to keep its milk money and its self-respect, it best keep out of my neighborhood

Looks great!! Nice job.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Definitely a kick-butt bench!

Very nice
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is one really good looking bench...you should be proud.

Great Bench

Let me get this straight... you like the vises!

Not pretty? gimme a break. It's a beauty.

Wow, a workbench for working wood, what a novel idea. I was beginning to think that workbenches were an end in themselves, to be waxed and polished and admired, but never exposed to anything that might cause a scratch.

Great job - I want one just like it.

Nice work. Great execution on the bench. I really like the vises. I am building a similar bench, but I blew my money on some LV planes instead of the vises. Decisions, decisions...

Did you have trouble with the DF splintering? I am trying to plane my top, and even with chamfered edges, I am still encountering blow out.

i really like the handwheels for the vices. it looks like some valve body on a WWII submarine. very cool.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

That is possibly the best looking bench I've ever seen!

How thick is that chop? That isn't Douglas Fir, is it? A single board? From the BORG?

Nice shots. Nice write-up. Nice Bench.

11. Hey all,

Thanks for the kind words. A couple answers: Yup. I really like the vises. A lot. I think the approximately 75/25 split in resources (75% of the bench's cost went for hardware, 25% for the wood) is a good one - but definitely a different approach than I took with my first handtool bench 5 or so years ago. My impression is that the bench itself may or may not last the remainder of my days - but I fully expect the vise hardware will be completely functional a century or two from now. I like the handwheels, too... I was a submariner in my service days, and the handwheels always make me think of the hatch gear. Something it was always nice to see, as it usually meant the end of a long op.

Also - I forgot to mention that the only non-BORG wood in the bench is the chop for the leg vise, and the deadman. Both are made from 8/4 Ash. I think the fir w

Like I said - I really don't have anything against pretty benches My old one is a very nice trestle base, Ash surface, and black walnut skirts. It was very pretty. I almost felt bad beating it senseless making furniture on it... almost. Unfortunately, its beauty was in no way matched by its usefulness. It was built by someone who learned most of what they wanted in a bench from a book - not from woodworking.

I've been looking over Jr. Strasil's bench posts recently and wishing more people would put up their benches - and not just the really nice looking ones.

One more thing - I keep forgetting to give Wilbur Pan credit for it, but his posts earlier this year about his DF workbench build that got me thinking a little differently about benches. Wilbur's got a very good knack for cutting through the extraneous information and trappings, and stripping woodworking down to what really counts. It's a very good trait.
    Last edited by Raney Nelson; 08-04-2009 at 11:46 PM.

12. Nice job Raney! Love it! After using both a softwood bench and my current hardwood bench, I'm in complete agreement with you. Softwood makes a better bench.

Love your bench, love your hardware, and I especially love your posting.

When I'm building, I'm often thinking through how I'm going to describe my work here on the Creek. Usually the cleverness and humor falls short and I end up posting something boring or not at all. Not with your post.

Congratulations on a job well done.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Nice job on the bench, Raney. I just informed the CFO that when I finally get out from underneath of my current backlog of projects that I'm going to look very hard at those vises.

I then threatened to use the cherry for my son's loft bed for the bench. That didn't go over too well...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed.

My experience may offer one tip. The only finish one needs on a bench to do glue ups is a large piece of cardboard. One of the handiest "finishes" in my shop.

The Veritas clamp on the dead man is also a good touch.

jim