Thread: Table Saw Adjustment Screws

Table Saw Adjustment Screws

I have a Craftsman 21830 Jobsite table saw on which the blade adjustment mechanism is held in place with four socket flathead cap screws. Three of the four have the drive socket partially stripped out and I wish to replace them. I ordered what I thought were six screws from Sears Parts Direct for $9.69 (incl shipping & tax). I received one and upon rechecking the listing the six shown is the recommended number! That sucks!

So I start looking online for socket flat cap screws M6×1.0×25. I can find them at several places but all are quantities of 50 or 100. What I need are four and I really hate to buy a box of these things and then throw all but four away (actually I wouldn’t, but they would sit in my shop and rust for the next xxxx years).

Can anyone recommend a place where I might buy these screws in a quantity of ‘each’? That really isn’t too much to ask, is it? I’ve checked McMasters, Grainger, MSCDirect, Reid Supply, Fastenal, Small Parts, just to name a few.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, yeah, Ace Hardware doesn’t list fasteners online and we don’t have one anywhere close.

Thanks,

Jim

TRY Grizzly!

csr@grizzly.com Email customer support and ask for price on (6) M6×1.0×25 flat-head cap screws. Maybe you'll get lucky!

Locally, try a farm machinery dealer, auto parts supply, or machine shops. Even try small-engine repair!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 08-05-2009 at 1:15 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I have always found a good selection of screws and bolts at Ace Hardware. They are priced in quantities of one.
    Wood'N'Scout

York bolt Co. in Tabb,Va. is easily googled. They sell fasteners much cheaper that a lot of others. It would help if we knew where posters live(State,at least.)

Did you try your local Lowe's. Our carries those as "specialty fasteners" and are in a large bin/shelf arrangement. You'll have to know what you're looking for, since those bins have LOTS of stuff.

Blog Entries
    Check Lowe's. They have an area on the fastener aisle of drawers with that kind of stuff. I've found things there that HD didn't have.

You just need the allen key socket style M6x1.0x25 machine screw right? Can it be a cylinder head style, or does it have to be a flat flush mount style?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    You just need the allen key socket style M6x1.0x25 machine screw right? Can it be a cylinder head style, or does it have to be a flat flush mount style?
    Has to be a flat flush-mount style - otherwise it would stick up through the tabletop and make it very difficult to feed boards ;-))

Jim

I have checked our local hardware store - two walls of fasteners and no metric flathead cap screws!

As for Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware - it's a two-hour drive to any of these and I may end up going there but am going to try other avenues first.

Appreciate the suggestions, though.

Jim

How hard is it to re tap your holes for regular threads? It sounds like your saw could at least use some larger screws if they strip. Be careful,though,before you make any alterations. You can't put the metal back.

Do you have a local bicycle or motorcycle shop? They may have the screws you need.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Did you try SmallParts.com..

They have just about anything like that you want.

http://www.smallparts.com/Alloy-Stee...AF&pf_rd_t=301

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Did you try SmallParts.com..

They have just about anything like that you want.

http://www.smallparts.com/Alloy-Stee...AF&pf_rd_t=301

Yes - out of stock. Seems as if they are out of stock on a lot of things lately. Wonder what's going on!

Jim