Thread: another vfd question

another vfd question

I apologize in advance for posting questions about electrical mumbo jumbo when I could be talking about bowls. Nonetheless, I do have an important question for those who are using vfds on their lathes.

I got a 1 hp inverter duty 3 phase motor on ebay. Now I need a vfd. There are two likely candidates. The TECO FM50 and the TECO Compact Micro. The prices are similar, both around $120. The Compact Micro has an external potentiometer and a remote available as an accessory. Anybody have an opinion about which is better?

Also, is there anything else required besides the vfd and motor?

Any feedback would be appreciated, since I'm in new territory here.

Thanks!

I use the fm50 and it works great, you would need a 10k pot and a 3 position switch for fwd, off,reverse. and then some kind of switch to kill power to the drive. I used a heavy double pull light swtich from lowes.

Bob

David, I bought the Teco 7300 which has pot and switches on the vfd, also bought remote switches and pot so I can hook up a control box that moves with me. I bought 2hp motor and probably would have been fine with the Teco 50 because I will use the remote.

I went with an Automation Direct and got their2 hp VFD with the pot and switches built into the unit. Can hook up remote controlsa also if desired.
    Yes, it is basicall the VFD and motorw, add some wiring, some kind of mounting system or board, and then some programing of the VFD. That turned out to be the hardest (the programing which was inputting the motor data, ramp-up and ramp-down times, and couple of other things), mainly because I was not used to thinking that way.
    Read the directions carefully and go for it.
    Rich S.

Thank you guys. That gives me a lot to chew on. I think I'll call a couple of manufacturers/resellers tomorrow to clear up some of my confusion.

Thanks again!

I am in the process of looking for a lathe. If I find an older lathe or choose one without VFD, I want to put a VFD on it.

At the papermill where I work, we use ABB drives from fractional horsepower to 1250 hp. I priced one out for a 2 hp which was about $170. It is a little more money that the ones that you have been looking at, but they are very good drives. The output is 3 phase and you have the motor already. I dont know if the other drives allow reverse (they probably do), but this drive does have reverse capability.

Thanks Rich. I'm already committed to a separate motor and driver, since I have the motor coming via ebay. I really appreciate the input though. It's surprising how many choices there are for getting variable speed.

Thanks!