Thread: Hardwiring shop equipment...

Hardwiring shop equipment...

We just moved into a house. I am in the process of doing electrical for the garage shop. I need to hardwire my tablesaw to the disconnect mounted on a wall about 4 feet away. What is the best way to do it? I was hoping to run liquid-tight flexible conduit on the floor that will house 3 #10 THHN conductors. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I ran armored conduit for my table saw and then used a cable floor guard to keep from tripping on it.

I've used both SO cord (aka SJOW) as well as flexible conduit - both work well. The conduit is probably ultimately tougher, but the SO cord is a little smaller diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    I've used both SO cord (aka SJOW) as well as flexible conduit - both work well. The conduit is probably ultimately tougher, but the SO cord is a little smaller diameter.
    Flexible cord is not a code complaint method of hardwiring equipment.It needs a plug on 1 end to be kosher.

Why do you need to hardwire the saw? If it's a 5HP saw that requires a 30A circuit and #10 conductors, you could still use a twistlock plug and receptacle and SJO cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Why do you need to hardwire the saw? If it's a 5HP saw that requires a 30A circuit and #10 conductors, you could still use a twistlock plug and receptacle and SJO cable.

Rob, you are right, I could install a receptacle, but then there is no need to unplug the saw as long as there is a disconnect, and there is no other tool I could run on that circuit. I already have a disconnect that I could put to use.

I appreciate your input though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherzod Niazov View Post
    Rob, you are right, I could install a receptacle, but then there is no need to unplug the saw as long as there is a disconnect, and there is no other tool I could run on that circuit. I already have a disconnect that I could put to use.
    I ask because one thing I really liked about the cord and plug was I could unplug the saw and drape the cord over the saw when I was changing blades. That's a pretty idiot-proof method of visually guaranteeing that the saw is depowered when you work on it. Yeah, you can look at the disconnect switch - I just preferred the twistlocks.

Your shop, your decision.