Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bandsaw statement

I've taught high school shop for 26 years and I've always told my students that being afraid of a tool is almost as dangerous as being over confident with it. I've never made a student use a tool that they where scared of, because as Bernie said you have no business using one that scares you. The bandsaw does require a lot of respect when you are roughing out a bowl blank.
    Jack

Fear is not an option!

To fear something is to not understand it. Fear can be overcome with knowledge and practice. But like Norm Abrams says" READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND SAFTEY MEASURES" before operating a power tool. Use the tool correctly and it will treat you right! Being confident on what you are doing is not like being arrogant and saying you do and don't.

So show no fear just patience and respect!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Mike, Can you identify specifically what scares you? I am mostly scared of ruining an expensive blade. And/but I pay close attention to location and direction of travel of all my body parts in relation to the blade location. Usually even take a moment before turning on the saw to think about how to make the cut safely, where fingers are going to be and if some sort of push block is needed. Stuff like that.
    Richard in Wimberley

Mike, i fear my bandsaw too. Im glad i have that fear of it. It makes me be more careful and thoughtful of what i am doing. I always try to use some clamp or something to hold my work. most of my accident's are when i hurry,
    Done to much factory piece work . Have you seen the guy at the wood show cut out rein deer from 2x4s ? He goes fast and talks at the same time.
    I hope he never ,spaces out while hes on the saw. A Healthy fear is good.

Kind of like turning, keep your tools sharp, don't force things, and keep out of the line of fire, which on the saw is don't push straight towards the blade. Respect them, but never turn your back on them.
    robo hippy

Mike;

I must agree with Bernie as well. Respect is one thing, fear is another. Bandsaw's are designed to cut whatever you present to the blade. Free hand cutting of a half round wet log at the band saw is not something for the novice.

Get some training, start off with smaller, dry dimensional lumber, know the limitations of your machine, make sure you have the correct blade and it is sharp; but then. . . .

If you still are uncomfortable; GET RID OF IT. Hands and fingers are too important.

I respect all of my tools, but in my opinion the elephant in the room has always been the bandsaw when you use it to round up log blanks.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Always listen to the little voice in your head. If you're uncomfortable with a specific action or cut - don't do it.

Don't rush through anything. Take your time and think it through.

Don't use a tool if you're tired. I've been working a lot of OT lately and as a result I've gotten no shop time. I just don't feel alert enough to work on anything safely when I get home.

It is likely you will get more comfortable with it over time, but as others have said, if you don't - sell it. There's no reason to cause yourself undue stress.

I think the tool that makes me the most nervous is my chain saw.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I'd have to say that the only tool that scares me would be the router, that's why I built a router table to help control it. Don't get me wring, I respect the tools, and have the scars to warrant that respect. Most of the scars are from using a dull knife or gouge, or working under conditions that were not safe and being too stubborn (or stupid) to quit until I get that last cut done...

I cut the tip of my left index finger (I'm left handed) and the way the tissue twisted, it will always feel funny. You know, sometimes I'm glad its that way (and not worse of course) because its a constant reminder to stop BEFORE that last cut if I need to.

Usually, being afraid of a tool is the result of 1) not understanding how to use it properly, and/or 2) having some very scary close calls which result from using it incorrectly. Every tool demands respect and will jump out and bite back as soon as complacency sets in. But the band saw is one of the safer tools in the shop when used as designed. If some operation in particular is scary, there is probably a better, safer way to perform that operation. Thouroughly understand your tools before you use them and there shouldn't be any reason for fear -- just a healthy respect and heavy dose of caution. And if the voice in your head is screaming that something is dangerous -- listen to the voice.

I can't say I'm scared of any tool but I feel what others suggested - respect for every single one of them. Even the lowly paper towel, which can spontaneously ignite having been used with polyurethane.

Between the two, TS and BS, while taking all the precautions with either, TS blades not only look hungrier to me, but they also have that smirk in them telling me they can throw stuff back at me at high speed and without a warning.

Sometimes being a little scared helps you to be more cautious. After using 12" and 14" band saws for the last 25+ years in my cabinet shop, I recently set up a 31" band saw which stands over 9' tall to cut bowl blanks and resaw some lumber. I admit I was scared when I fired that monster up the first time with the guide raised about 18" high, but then the total respect I have for my machinery kept me focused on safety.
    The best advise I can give is when you are operating your shop equipment, if something does'nt fell right to you, don't do it........Tony

if you are scared of your saw, i can take it off your hands
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Bandsaw and other tools

I'm not sure about any one else. I learned early in life on many things. Just treat it nice like you would your Mother-in-law. Heck you never know when it will get mad and strike you. That is just life in the motor pool.