Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood burner and venting...

Wood burner and venting...

I am looking at placing a woodburner in my shop that has 15 foot high ceilings...My question is this...Can I just vent it right out the side of the wall and place the vent say 4 feet from the siding and expect it to be ok, I mean not stain the siding??

Any info or picks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John G

HOW HIGH SHOULD A CHIMNEY BE?

It should extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof. It should be two feet higher than anything within a 10-foot radius, including the roof itself, overhanging trees, adjacent buildings, etc.

You need some type of chimney that extends above the roof. You might have to check local codes too (depending).
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Yes. Needs to be above the roof line 2-3 feet to vent properly.

Thanks for all the info...

I was originally concerned with the major expense of the 3 wall stainless pipe and then my research found that I can just go black pipe to the ceiling and the 3 wall after I get through the ceiling.

I also found that tractor supply has a nice wood burner with blower for 850$ that will heat up to 2015 sq ft. It also comes with a 30% tax credit.

I am thinking that is where I am going in the long haul...I just hope I can swing it financially this year. I may have to wait till next year : *(

Thanks Again,

John G

Quote Originally Posted by John Grabowski View Post
    I am looking at placing a woodburner in my shop that has 15 foot high ceilings...My question is this...Can I just vent it right out the side of the wall and place the vent say 4 feet from the siding and expect it to be ok, I mean not stain the siding??

Any info or picks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John G

Ive got the same question. Can I vent through the wall and then up passed the roofline using just stove pipe?

I understand the final height requirements of the pipe, but I dont know, and i think John was asking also, can stove pipe run through the wall and up the side of the building or does it need to be enclosed in a chimney of some sort?

Anyplace I noticed someone running a pipe up an exterior wall, they used the stainless pipe for the whole exterior run. There is a house near my cabin that ran that out of a basement wall and 2.5 stories up... I can not imagine the cost for that. It cost me a small fortune when I piped my pellet stove in my shop with just 4" pipe.

Wood burner and venting

I've been heating with wood for almost 30 years and I would say from personal experience,go with the triple wall through the wall or ceiling as soon as possible.It helps the flue gas maintain as much temp as possible.If your flue gas cools down too fast it leaves croesote deposits in your chimney and could cause a chimney fire.If you have any questions about installation options talk to a local chimney sweep.Single wall pipe can be very leaky and flimsy so be careful.
    FYI-I got my most recent install of triple wall from Lowes and it was a good price.It is stainless so its not going to be cheap but it will also last.

Last but not least,if you have homeowners insurance on your shop whether its a seperate building or in a basement shop they might not cover any wood workshop with a woodstove in it regardless of how it was installed.Good Luck
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Westover View Post
    Ive got the same question. Can I vent through the wall and then up passed the roofline using just stove pipe?

I understand the final height requirements of the pipe, but I dont know, and i think John was asking also, can stove pipe run through the wall and up the side of the building or does it need to be enclosed in a chimney of some sort?

Yes. You'll need a wall collar/protector to go through the wall.

The problem with going through the wall, you will have 2 90 degree elbows. 1 inside, 1 outside.

The elbows and short section of pipe that lays flat going through the wall is a good creosote collection point, that likes to build up and plug your pipe up.
    They will need to be cleaned often.

Good info, thanks all.

Good suggestions above. I would contact a good, reputable stove shop in your area. They know all the proper safety issues. Proper Clearance/safety is a big thing in these cases...
    Jerry

Just a FYI- CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE!

A wood burner in any out building with American Family is a major no no, at least thats what I was told. Even with gas,(what I have) it has to be direct vent.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Why a woodburner?

John, I was curious, why do you want a woodburner in your workshop? Do you have natural gas to your house? The reason I ask is because I thought about putting a wood stove in my workshop, but when I thought it through, I changed my mind. If you are heating your workshop to protect your power tools from rusting, then you will have to make sure you have a fire set 24/7. If not, your tools are sure to rust. If you can run NG or propane, then you can set it and forget it. Just my opinion.

Steve

Well here is the real kicker...Using a woodburner is a money saving option for me...anything else is unreasonable. I am using it to heat the shop in Ohio. I do not have insulation and it would cost more than the woodburner to put it in...Much more!! I have exposed OSB in my pole barn shop. It would also have to be drywalled by code. More money...Wood on my propperty= free. Gas is exspensive. I am not worried about the rusting...Air is very dry in the winter. In the summer, when humidity is high I wax my tools and run dehumidifier as needed. I am not going to be using the shop everyday in the winter, but when I do...I will just run out and light a fire that will heat the shop for hours on a few logs.

John G

makes sense. Free is GOOD.