Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 220V vs 110V for table saw

I don't have an answer for that ... I do believe most new construction DOES use 20a circuits these days, but I don't have any real data to back that up, just a hunch of mine.

You know how power hungry we are ... give us 20a and we'll want 30a ... give us 30a and we'll want 40a ... someone will invent a device we JUST GOTTA have that takes 50a ... and poof, we need another upgrade. Danged if we don't like our 'lectrical toys
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

For residential construction, & where everything is low bid, bedrooms, living room, lighting circuits, 15 ampere circuits are the norm, kitchen small appliance branch circuits(2-required), dining room,pantry,breakfast room, bathroom(s) are usually 20A*.Low bid tract homes will have the lowest number of circuits to get by & anything that is allowed to be 15A will be 15A.

*this was not always the case in the past.

Thanks, Rollie!

So much for my anecdotal belief!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Hello All !
    This being my first post here I dont wish to be to critical. (but)

20 amp vs 15 amp, (whew boy) looks like a great debate.

Im currently wireing my new shop.
    Im putting a dedicated 110/20 amp going to my Table saw, and band saw ONLY.
    I'll only be using 'either' one or the other - not both ! at the same time.!
    I debated switching/converting my table saw and band saw over to 240
    and decided not to. (it aint broke yet, why fix it)(other than, just cuz I wanna tinker with it)

the motor windings dont care which current it is using 110 or 240.
    its either in series or parallel.

getting to house's with 20 amp circuits or 15 amp circuits.

Ive done ALOT of remodels, the IRC states a min wire gage as 12 for 20 amp and 14 gage for 15 amp.
    (local codes 'can' supercede the IRC codes.)
    (how many power strips run your computer on that 15 amp circuit ? ? )yes, we are a power hungry lot arent we !

as it is - In most new construction, local codes state that kitchens be
    wired with 20 amps gfci. reason being, toasters, blenders, coffee makers,etc all can get plugged into the same circuit.
    the bathrooms need 20 amp also. local codes follow this.
    The Rest of the house can be 15 amps with an exception where ever needed ie; 20 amps.

my last shop was small, my table saw caused my vac to dim when switched on.

the new shop will be different.

cheers