Thread: Positioning Hinges

Positioning Hinges

I've made a jewelry box of the kind where you make a box and then cut off the top, if you see what I mean. I bought nice Brusso hinges which will be mortised first into the bottom and then into the top.

My question: does anyone know a fool-proof trick for aligning the bottom and top mortises?

I know I can cut the bottom mortises, install the hinge, then use a marking knife to knick the back edge of the top at the right spot. But this does not strike me as fool-proof.

I'm thinking that a woodworker 300 years ago must have thought of a neat trick. For example: installing the bottom hinge and having a sharp object protrude (sp?) upward from the screw holes, which would exactly mark the screw holes for the top hinge when the top is pressed down on top of them.

Any ideas?

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    I believe Brusso offers very precise templates to aide in the installation of their various hinges.

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

I clamped the top to the bottom, in the fully open position. Then cut both mortises at the same time. As long as you've correctly positioned the top to the bottom when you clamp it, the mortises will be in the right place.

If you're using a router, you can make a template that references off one of the boxes sides...this will also keep them aligned.

Blog Entries
    I would do something similar that I do with the barrel hinges, since you are cutting the lid off.

You could a through mortise or as deep as they need to be, in to the side of the box where you are mounting the hinges, then when you make the cut, they have no choice but to line up.

Take a look at this thread to see what I'm talking about - similar result, but you have to go about it in a different way. Don't forget to account for the blade's kerf width.

Last edited by Ed Sallee; 08-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    I do a double stick tape trick: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115536
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just the sort of thing I was hoping for! Looks (almost) fool-proof.

Blog Entries
    Hint: The pic looks like one piece of tape for each hinge. There is a piece of tape on each hinge leaf (two per hinge). This allows me to test opening and closing and adjust if required.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Now I realize that this won't work for me, because my hinges only open to 95 degrees so I can't clamp the pieces as shown.

I mostly use their quadrant hinges so can't be of much help with the standard ones. However, for the quadrant hinges (which are a bear to set btw) I bought a template made by Brusso. When lining up the lid and bottom I use a variation of Glen's trick. I use a drop of CA glue on the leaves wiggle everything into position and let it set up and you should be good.

The best way for me that I have found is the flip stick, it is spot on and very easy to do.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=flip+stick

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ght=flip+stick

It was Doug Stowe idea form his book on small boxes