Thread: White acrylic with a black cap layer

White acrylic with a black cap layer

Has anybody coma across this material. It looks like white acrylic with a black cap layer. Judging from the smoothness/glossyness of the finish I'm guessing the black was not painted or printed but is part of the sheet manufacturing process. On one of the pics you can see where black paint was applied to the edges with an entirely different result.

Last edited by James Mooney; 08-07-2009 at 7:03 AM. Reason: can't seem to post images!
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W

James
    I can't open your picture files.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sorry Mike, hopefully it works this time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W

James, it looks like a product by Rowmark, it's their "Lacquers" line.

http://www.rowmark.com/rotary/lacquers/lacquers.asp

Gloss Black with white base.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That's great Scott, thanks for the info. According to Rowmark it's recommended for use with a rotary cutter, do you know if you can laser cut and engrave as well?
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W

I'm sure you can. The problem is it has a .012" cap sheet as opposed to most laser cap sheets that are .003" or less. So you might end up cutting the thing 4-5 times to get through it.

I've never used that particular material, but I have cut many rotary only materials with our laser. It just takes multiple passes. Can't say for this one because I've not tried it, but I've not found one we couldn't cut with multiple passes yet.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott, you've been really helpful. I'll try and get a sample of the product and let you know how I got on.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75W

You can use IPI LZ901G from Johnson Plastics. It's laserable.

The temptation when lasering material with a thick cap is to over-power it and you'll scorch it around the text. If you decide to use this material I'd advise using a mask.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Like a hockey mask?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Like a hockey mask?
    ya!! But only on Friday the 13th..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it