Thread: The Rustic farmhouse doors of Spoletto at home

The Rustic farmhouse doors of Spoletto at home

LOML wanted a "rustic" European farmhouse door for the BBQ and Spa Equipment area. I used Ipe and left them unfinished. The hardware was from Lee Valley...."clavos" (Rustic steel square cut nails) strap hinges and primative "loop" pulls. I used epoxy and predrilled for the clavos since the Ipe is hard. You need to shift gears from fine cabinet making to primative work...Italian music and pizza helps. I think that was when I lost that piece by my tablesaw....where is it...lets see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

They look very nice Mark. They look like doors right out of an old winery or olive garden. As to the "shifting gears" tho', sometimes it takes just as much skill to make something intentionally not look perfect, as it does too make it look perfect. They look great. P.S Hope ya' find that "lost piece" soon

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Those are wonderful Mark but couldn't you just show us some new tools or something
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I like the look that you have achieved. Both the wood and the harware seem to be appropriate.

Very cool Mark

I like the look for the areas it is used in. I bet it's a nice counterpoint to your more modern elements. I'll have to try the pizza & Italian music while working on a project. Oh wait a minute all my work already looks primitive, even when I don't want it to!
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

What I really like about these things is the nice contrast between them and the stone work. Awesome.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

'Ya know, Mark, I believe you could make an orange crate look good! I'm with Tom on this one: My stuff *already* looks primitive! That's a bummer, as well, because LOML wants a more Art & Crafts style for stuff around here and I'm afraid I'll probably ending up giving her Arts & Craps style! Oh well...Her eyeshight isn't what it used to be. Maybe she won't notice! As usua, great job, Mark!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

As usual, great design and execution. Real nice contrast with the stone and wood. You make it look easy.

Bob
    bob m

Thanks very much...of course this is a simple project that anyone can make. I think we are sometimes afraid to try things that are different or crude....it may make others think we are working at the limits of our ability. What is important in any design is "the whole" the overall concept and this is a good example. Many years ago I designed a Santa Barbara style house for a friend. I bought inexpensive lumber and made one full size rustic door and gave it to my Mexican finish carpenter. Two weeks later his truck arrived with an entire load of doors. We sandblasted them and stained them. They added an authentic character to the home unequalled in any doors commercially available. By using a 3 layer design the doors did not warp and they are still hanging now 25 years later. It is important to ask yourself what 'Look" the whole project needs. These small doors were fast and easy to construct and the hardware is readily available....they create an ambiance that transends the "new" and enters the timeless.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...currency=2&SID=
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 09-07-2004 at 12:35 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thumbs up

Mark, I like your taste; period! Of the several examples of your work that you have posted, I always marvel at the design and finish. We can learn to make tight, strong joints, or sand and finish a board to baby smooth finish but it takes some artistic flair to make projects look right. Keep the pics coming....
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thumbs up

Typically Mark Singer! I like it! Great design and work...Mark!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mark, great work on this one. How long has this been out in the weather to get the look of the "bleeding" iron? It adds an extra "old world" look. Speaking of "old world" verses "new world" I just noticed your new head shot avatar. I hardly recognized you. Fortunately, your work is always recognizable.

Mark.

It looks very nice. I think you made some good choices in material and hardware.

Regards,
    John

Very nice look, Mark. It seems like the doors must be a very contrasting look to the rest of your home. Nicely done.
    Pete Lamberty

Hi Mark,

The doors look great and will only get better with age. The pizza is past he time limit for even finals week! Go blow the carbon out of the garge candy and get a new pie.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery