Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career, Side Job or Hobby

Question Career, Side Job or Hobby

I was just wondering how many on the forum use the laser for a hobby, how many use it to make extra cash, and how many have a full blown career from the work they do with the laser.

I bought mine in hopes of picking up some extra money because there is no job security anywhere anymore. Seems it may have been a wise investment since i was told my job will be moving to our Headquarters (no I won't move also) in 4-6 months.

I have a looooong way to go and so much to learn, but can you make a living doing this? I've seen the work posted on this site, and am sure many could make a very comfortable living. Just not sure how much is in the art type projects and how much is the engraving of large orders like pens, name plate data, etc.

Curious to hear your thoughts.
    Carol Barbero (Newbie)
    Epilog Mini 18, 30 Watt

Hi Carol
    I just retired (August 1 was my first day of retirement) and am hoping to make some extra money with mine. It is also an extension of my woodworking and other art stuff that I do. I wouldn't mind if it turned into a second carrier, but if it only makes extra money like my other hobies do thats ok too.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

New Career?

Carol,

Randy said it probably better than anyone but............ if you have read all of the posts in this forum you should have seen that making money with a laser, for a living anyway, takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of business planning. Really, I would spend some more time reviewing all of the threads on this forum again before putting up the big bucks necessary to get started in this business, especially if you are thinking of making a living off of it.

Going back to Randy's comment. He just retired. And he doesn't have to make money off his laser. And that's the key..... HAVE TO for a living.

It has taken me two years of research (yes, I'm slow and thick headed but...) just to come close to finding a laser engraver that I'm interested in spending the bucks for. And I've had my wood working business in place and operational since 1977.

Good luck with your research. And don't let anyone try to talk you out of this. Just do your homework and realize from a point of knowledge what it's going to take to turn a profit.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Barbero View Post
    Just not sure how much is in the art type projects and how much is the engraving of large orders like pens, name plate data, etc.
    Hi Carol,

In my experience with a laser as hobby, it is more the selling of what you make or do than anything else.

I would not get into the mass market that is well covered and highly competitive and I mean 1/100ths of a penny.

Find a niche and exploit that. How do you find a niche? I have no idea. I just try things and then hawk them around. Let them sit and if you get inquiries then push a little in that direction and see if becomes a niche.

In this laser world, you have to lead then follow.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Find the nails before you buy a hammer.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I fall under all 3. I consider the work I do on the laser as a side job but every now and then I get decent sized commercial jobs that take over my life. They consume all my time and pay well so the other income sources get put to the side. But since these types of jobs are inconsistent, I can not rely on them to pay the bills. I need other sources of income. And like most others, the laser also weasels it's way into my hobbies and just about everything else I do.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

It's a career for me, but not the laser alone.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It's a hobby/side business/future retirement career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post
    ...Find a niche and exploit that. How do you find a niche? I have no idea. I just try things and then hawk them around. Let them sit and if you get inquiries then push a little in that direction and see if becomes a niche...
    Good advice from Dave. To go one step further: A "niche" is NOT something your family & friends love & tell you will sell hundreds, even "market research" is useless... A "niche" is only worth while if you have generated real sales with real cash flow. That's when you truly know you are on to something. So, start slinging some mud & see what sticks.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Carol, We think we have a niche, primarily in women's fashion jewelry-- happy to share this with you. We have a gift shop in coastal NC and several years ago added a rotary engraver for small jewelry. Then purchased a laser engraver (Epilog Mini 24, 40W) and experimented with sea shells. This has been good for us-- not a career by any means-- but it surely could be with some effort. In addition to our store sales, our shells are now in a dozen or so boutiques on the coast. We provide sample displays (no cost to the retailer) and take orders by fax or phone. Usually are able to ship by the next day. Shells are inexpensive, and we don't pick them up off the beach. Started by buying them from Fire Mountain and other vendors, then learned to buy in bulk from various vendors in Indonesia and China. The profit per piece is considerable, even when splitting with a retailer. And there does not seem to be much competition. A company named Heart Strings is the biggest player, but their engraving quality is poor. Rotary, I think.
    Our website at etchedintimedesigns.com has a fair sampling of what we do.
    Best,
    Joe

Laser Engraving is my Life

Career. Both the Queen and I make our living off Laser Engraving. Of course, we make our living off selling the equipment rather than doing the engraving.
    My brother opened a laser engraving and sublimation shop two years ago, and he too is doing it full time for his career.

Career , but I already had a successful trophy and industrial engraving company before I bought - proved my best addition - I now have 5 1/2 lasers (one of em is sickly)..I also got in at least 10 yrs ago ...before they were so common so have experience in materials , design and tricks and tips that others havent got
    They compliment my exisiting machinery
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Was intended to be my career, but has not quite worked out like that!

The laser has opened doors for me in designing for precision mechanical engineering, electronics and optics which I would not have even heard about but for trying to hawk my engraving services. I even did a spell at boatbuilding (gone (temporarily, I hope) in the recession) because the company I engrave bits for needed some help.

So lasering gets me about 1/3 of my income and a "portfolio" of interests the rest.

Am I glad I bought my Epilog? - YES!!!!!
    Did my original business plan allow for what I do now? - NOoooo !!!!
    Would more market research have helped? - not a chance

Our laser works along with many other machines in our shop/store. Which is also my living, now!

This all started with a plasma/router table in my barn. A hobby for my wife and I when both our businesses were slow in the summer during harvest. Four short years later.... a 3 story building, many machines and employees!

Be careful what you wish for!
    Phil
    Red Earth D'Signs

Corel 13, Photoshop CS2, Photograv
    Universal Laser v 460 55w
    Epson 4800 Sub-Lim
    Dyna CNC Plasma/Router Table
    Summa Plotters
    2 Crazy CBR pups that rule the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Motley View Post
    Carol, We think we have a niche, primarily in women's fashion jewelry...This has been good for us-- not a career by any means-- but it surely could be with some effort. ...We provide sample displays (no cost to the retailer) and take orders by fax or phone...
    Similar story here. We do everything from rubber stamps to large signs with cutout letters to key & name tags, but we think our real niche is coconut shell jewlery. Our 'cocoshelldesigns' website is where we are putting our main effort right now.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Side business/hobby.
    I'm an artist, so I'm always trying cool things as gifts, high-end pieces for a friend's gallery, and miscellaneous stuff. I occasionally get 'real' jobs, which are great for extra money (there's no such thing as 'extra' money, of course!). I also have a small internet-based business that is steady and fairly profitable. But there's no way i could make a real living without a great deal of work.
    Marc Myer
    Epilog 35 mini