Thread: Some more HF's Critique please.

Some more HF's Critique please.

I got a little more practice in this week. I finished up some forms that I had roughed out a couple of months ago. The first is Box Elder, about 8" by 5" high. Finish is wipe-on poly, Beale Buffed.
    The second is Cottonwood, I think. About 7" by 5", also Poly/Buffed. I'm not sure I like the shape..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blessings, Steve

Nothing to critique Steve. Very nice looking HF's. Finish looks good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

nice color. how thick is it
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Steve,
    They both look pretty good from here. The first one becomes flat or straight from the shoulder to the rim, and I think most folks would suggest that it be a smooth, continuous curvature. I like the second one (space capsule form), but again the usual "bag of sand" form benefits from a smooth, continuous curvature without any straight places. Granted that a very gentle, smooth, continuous curvature with no flat spots can be remarkably difficult to achieve.
    Richard in Wimberley

Steve - form is always a matter of personal taste but Richard did bring up a good point of always working towards continuous curves

I like both of these - especially the first one as I love southwestern style forms. Love the way the coloration of the wood actually seems to paint a desert mountain scene - so very fitting!

Your second form - sort of a bag of sand form - is very interesting and sure to grab attention. I do like the natural edge opening on it!

About the only suggestion I can offer is to add a little light to your photos or increase the exposure time as the photos appear a little dark. Course - that could just be my monitor!

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,
    Not your monitor. If Steve F. could add or reflect a little more light toward the lower front of the work it would be helpful. Working on same problem with own photos.
    Richard in Wimberley

Nice pieces! I'm attracted to the very unique one in the first photo. Well done...Bill...

Love them both, the only critique I would say is that the bottom of the first one is a tad too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Steve,
    Not your monitor. If Steve F. could add or reflect a little more light toward the lower front of the work it would be helpful. Working on same problem with own photos.
    Good point!
    I've been fiddling with my light box..I just can't seem to get the white balance right.
    Blessings, Steve

I like the SW form but not so much the "bag of sand" form. nice work though
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!