Thread: Storage

Storage

So it's really hot here in Texas. I have spent a little time making things and dust+sweat=gross. It has me thinking about cleaning the studio (garage) and building in cabinets, etc to stop the accumulation of dust on shelves.

I'm flipping through my workshop book and see that almost every shop has open cabinets. I can almost smell the dust through the pages (actually it was just my sinuses. I had already taken a shower).

So, I had a few questions for you guys with cabinets in your studios/shops:
    1) With no air circulation is there any problem with mold / musty smell?
    2) Did you do anything special to the doors to make sure dust doesn't accumulate when they are closed?
    3) Do you need closed backs?
    4) Any thoughts on adjustable (euro) style cabinets?

Thanks!
    Brian

I have very little dust because I take care of it at the source with a good dust collection system. Any dust created away from the system a shopvac takes care of.

Hi Brian, I have closed cabinets and open shelves.

I also have very little dust because I collect it at the source with a cyclone.

Euro style cabinets are easy to fabricate, so they make a good choice for shop cabinets.

If you make them in white, they reflect the light back into the shop area, which is a bonus.

That said I used baltic birch for my shop base cabinets, with walnut trim.

Regards, Rod.

Brian,

I use overlap drawer fronts to help keep out dust. Sure, the shop has dust collectors, but still over the years the dust accumulates anyway. The inside of the drawers stay quite clean.

I don't like European style construction, as it is much weaker than face frame cabinets. Many of my cabinets have heavy machines sitting on top of them and easily hold the weight.

I have very little open shelving, and what there is ends up far dustier than items stored in drawers, or behind closed doors.

Yes, all cabinets have 1/4" backs to both keep the dust out, and to keep the cabinets from racking out of square.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow Tom!

Tom, seriously wow that is a nice workspace!
    It looks cleaner than any of the shops in the 'Workshops' book I've been reading.

I assume you made all of the drawers and cabinets since they are matched. Did you use any plans or 'construction guides'?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    Tom, seriously wow that is a nice workspace!
    It looks cleaner than any of the shops in the 'Workshops' book I've been reading.

I assume you made all of the drawers and cabinets since they are matched. Did you use any plans or 'construction guides'?

Brian
    Brian,

Years ago I wanted to learn cabinet making, so I bought a book "Build Your own Kitchen Cabinets". After reading it, I thought there has got to be an easier way, so I designed my own way of quickly building shop cabinets. I have posted some threads on cabinet construction. Check out some of my early posts, or see this link.

You can see more of my shop cabinets on my web page.

I'm not sure what "Workshops" book you are reading, but my shop was in the 2007 "America's Best Home Workshops" book.

Sorry to those of you who like to see photos of dirty shops, but I like to clean mine before taking photos. I have to look at a dirty shop often enough, but just can't see a reason to show the dirt to the pros on this forum.

Tom,
    That is not a shop, it is more like an airplane hanger. Great looking shop even if it looks like it has never been used. I should post a few photos of mine and hang my head in shame. It is always cluttered with things piled every where.
    David B

I also used closed face cabinets, no open shelves. No quite as classy as Tom's setup, but still pretty good. One wall has kitchen base cabinets with a 3 inch thick SYP workbench top with a vise built in. I also have tall storage cabinets with doors and a several rolling storage chests. The dust does sneak inside after a while, but the tools stay generally clean.

Awesome.

Tom, seriously that's good stuff. I'm excited to plan some new cabinets based on your design. I'm reading the Nagyszalanczy workshops book. It has good information in it, but like I said I can smell the dust through the pages.

I guess for people who have stellar dust collection on every tool and at every station they don't have to worry about it, but no matter which way the wind is blowing around here it blows dust into my studio (garage) when I have the doors open.

Brian

10. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    Sorry to those of you who like to see photos of dirty shops, but I like to clean mine before taking photos. I have to look at a dirty shop often enough, but just can't see a reason to show the dirt to the pros on this forum.

You MUST like a clean shop.. You've got one of those fancy mobile dusters wandering around mid photo.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Tom,
    That is not a shop, it is more like an airplane hanger. Great looking shop even if it looks like it has never been used. I should post a few photos of mine and hang my head in shame. It is always cluttered with things piled every where.
    OK David,

Here are some dirty pictures to ease your mind!! My shop IS an airplane hanger, as I have been building RC planes for 50 years.

The main reason most people have clutter in their shops is that they have no place to put things away, so stuff gets stacked everywhere. That is why home made shop cabinets are the best way to go. You can custom build to fit the space available, and to make the best use of every available space.

A few hints, get rid of 'machine stands' and make all that wasted space do double duty. Make storage space instead of dust space. Drawers are the most efficient way of using every cubic inch. You can put more in drawers than on shelves, and as an added benifit, everything stays clean.
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 08-16-2009 at 8:22 AM.

Tom,
    That's not clutter, that is work in progress. I agree on drawers being the better way to store items. Still a beautiful shop even with it filled with work in progress.
    You have some awesome projects going on.
    David B