Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exploding shop vacs?

Exploding shop vacs?

I was just finishing up vacuuming in the shop when I realized that all the hairs on my leg were standing on end. The plastic hose of my shop vac was just loaded with static.

So, how come nobody ever worries about dust explosions in shop vacs?

Cliff

Blog Entries
    The same reason we don't worry about PVC ducting ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    the same reason we don't worry about pvc ducting ;-)
    +1........

Oh Pleeeze!!

ShopVac static discharge can certainly be a problem IF you are vacuuming up lots of gun powder...OR...a gasoline spill, if its a wet vac !
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Because this thread was started, there will be stories all over the internet tonight about the guy who was killed by his expoding shopvac. Some idiot will present a case to the CPSC to outlaw shopvacs unless they have a grounded wire hose and attachments.

They could be for sale by sunrise tomorrow!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The obvious solution is to shave your legs!
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Well for $600 you can get a Festool CT33 which has anti-static stuff.

What I don't get is how come if it's anti-static, why does my arm hairs stick to the white plastics? Maybe just the hose and dark plastics are anti-static? oh well...

OH NO YOU DON'T!!!!! Don't even tell me you guy don't REALLY run copper wire through your piping. I bought into that, well, let's just call it a "load" and let me tell you, that was the biggest PITA about installing the piping. Is the static build up really nothing to worry about? Aarrrrrrrgggggggggg!!! You can't see it, but I'm crying right now...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Three weeks ago, an electrician working on a luxury cruiser at a marina in Sydney Australia reportedly used a wet vac to clean up an acetone spill.
    He's now checking to see if his insurance policy covers $5,000,000.

38a805eb4299b8433f896dbf6acedd01_resized.jpg
    Colonial Plantation Shutters
    Start your own easy-to-run business making Plantation Shutters

I would suspect sparks from the motor brushes ignited the acetone and not static electricity.
    Ken

As a Fire Chief I know of one fire that took most of a house. The teenage son tried to vacuum up a gasoline spill with a shop vac. But that was not static that blew vac that up.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Because this thread was started, there will be stories all over the internet tonight about the guy who was killed by his expoding shopvac. Some idiot will present a case to the CPSC to outlaw shopvacs unless they have a grounded wire hose and attachments.

They could be for sale by sunrise tomorrow!
    What a buzz-kill. Ken caught me before I could even get my "Shop-Vac Deaths, Fact or Fiction" website up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Seriously, professionally I've been using a 3-M grounded/anti-static vacumn cleaner for years.
    Ken

I'm wondering if wiping down the hose with fabric softener would help. I know if you rub something with a dryer sheet, it works very well at eliminating static buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall1 View Post
    Three weeks ago, an electrician working on a luxury cruiser at a marina in Sydney Australia reportedly used a wet vac to clean up an acetone spill.
    He's now checking to see if his insurance policy covers $5,000,000.

38a805eb4299b8433f896dbf6acedd01_resized.jpg
    Since it sounds like Doofy the Sparky lived, perhaps he should be nominated for a honorable mention at the Darwin Awards site.