Thread: West System epoxy question

West System epoxy question

For anyone that uses this product I’m wondering if once you’ve used the pumps if the material is still fresh and easy to use if you’ve let it sit on the shelf for a month or so.
    TIA

The epoxy is still fine although after a while the pumps start to get a bit gummed up. I need to give mine a good soaking & cleaning. I've got to check the user guide but I think paint thinner is supposed to do the trick.
    Use the fence Luke

Months? The West Systems at work has been in service for YEARS. They buy it in a 5 gal container (the resin), the hardener is in a smaller container. Seems unaffected by time. It has literally been 3 years since the last container was put into service. As long as you keep the pumps clean, no problems to report. Seems like pretty inert stuff until you mix A into B.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Months? The West Systems at work has been in service for YEARS. They buy it in a 5 gal container (the resin), the hardener is in a smaller container. Seems unaffected by time. It has literally been 3 years since the last container was put into service. As long as you keep the pumps clean, no problems to report. Seems like pretty inert stuff until you mix A into B.
    Ditto. I have worn pumps out, but it was not material getting old, just too much use. I have some special hardeners that do not get much use that are still good after many years. No worries.....

+1

I've used gallons of this stuff, and sometimes it's been years since I last used the pumps.

One thing to watch out for when the cans get close to empty is that the expansion and contraction cycling of the air in the cans can cause the resin and hardener to drip from the pumps, so you want to have something to catch the drips. (Actually, this happened with the pumps on some Raka branded epoxy in my case but I suspect the West System pumps also behave this way.)

When the pumps get funky you can clean them with vinegar and orange Gojo hand cleaner, just be sure to rinse it all off real well and get everything dry before using the pumps again.

I've been using the same two pumps (resin - hardener) for about three years. The spout is a little bit gummy but it works fine. There will be a drip or two after each use so put something under the spout if you are picky about the surface it is dripping on.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

It'll turn dark brown after some time, but it's still fine. I'm not sure I've ever had to throw out any WS epoxy.

However not inert in the possibility of being a skin sensitizers. More so to some than others. Try to never get epoxy on your skin. Never use Acetone to clean up as that drives it more quickly deeper into your skin.

But I do agree with the years. Extreme temperatures or moisture might affect that though. I've always used it in good climates

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Vanbokklen View Post
    However not inert in the possibility of being a skin sensitizers. More so to some than others. Try to never get epoxy on your skin. Never use Acetone to clean up as that drives it more quickly deeper into your skin.

But I do agree with the years. Extreme temperatures or moisture might affect that though. I've always used it in good climates
    Grant, by inert I meant shelf stable in its separate parts, not safe to touch. I too would not recommend skin contact with epoxy or its component parts, I'd be pretty sure the mixing vessel can handle the heat generated, and I wouldn't drink the leftovers even if very thirsty. I prefer to wear nitrile gloves and safety glasses when handling it. Not sure the vapors are something you would want to breath much of either.

10. I've had epoxy "crystallize", getting white crystal-like flakes in the resin. Warming it up fixes it. To warm it, I set it in a sink of hot water, refreshing the hot water until the flakes go away.