Thread: Drum Sander Gloat

Drum Sander Gloat

Well it is a small gloat as it is a small drum sander

I recently purchased a Performax 10-20 Plus drum sander to sand plaques and thin stock. I have a 24" dual drum sander however it isn't capable of sanding thin stock or small plaques, hence the new addition to my workshop. The 10-20 Plus has a minimum thickness capability of 1/32" and will sand items as short as 2.25" long. A short test this weekend made my day, the machine performed perfectly on maple and Corian.

I mounted my new mini-brute on a hydraulic table so it can be parked under the wing of my table saw to save floor space in my shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They sure are heavy for such a little brute aren't they?

Congrats on the sander. I would like to shoehorn a DS into my tiny space. where did you get the table and how much? It looks very handy.

Joe,

I bought the hydraulic table from Northen Tools for $129.00, it is a 330 pound capacity model. I also have a 770 pound model that I use as a workbench and it is pretty handy for loading and unloading shop equipment. They will both lower to within 10" of the floor. It sure is nice to be able to work at a comfortable height no matter what the task. My workbench has four small woodworking vises and a router mounted underneath.

Greg,

The 10-20 Plus is 96 pounds and your right it is heavy for such a small machine.

Nice Tool

Hi Keith;
    Neat tool-like its small size. I have its bigger brother, the 16-32, and use it also for thin stock, my bandsawed veneer, and to finish laser inlay projects. Watch out for oily woods like cocobolo-gums up the sandpaper real fast. Good Luck
    George

George,

You can save some money on paper by cleaning it with the gum eraser and also using a liquid pitch remover and air. Just spray the pitch remover on the clogged spot and let it soak for a couple of minutes, then just blow it all off with air. It works pretty good. You can also take the paper to a car wash and clean it that way too.

Good looking machine and stand. I need to get a drum sander also but an not really sure where I would put it. Good idea using the hydraulic table. I may have to go look at them.
    Sparky Paessler

Keith, A big congrats on a mini machine!

I saw one of those at Woodcraft and it looked very strudy but I had no idea it was so heavy. But I'm not surprised. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.