Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dangers of walking into Woodcraft and lathe heaven

The dangers of walking into Woodcraft and lathe heaven

I have to say I really like being in the store but the temptations are everywhere and very strong. When I was there to pick up a Wolverine jig (Raleigh store) a salesman named John was very friendly and informative in particular about the Jet 1642 lathe. He moved it around and then plugged that baby in so I could check it out. I THOUGHT I HAD GONE TO HEAVEN. I had never before heard a lathe that quiet before. My Jet mini is quiet but this thing purred like a kitten and reminded me of a Singer sewing machine. Everything about it looked like very high quality from the veiry robust bed to the super heavy duty legs. And of course the electronic variable speed was amazing; I think turned as slow as 300 r.p.m. or so. I know you Jet owners know all this already and I'm not trying to make this an advertisement for Woodcraft or Jet. It's just that I've seen "lathe heaven" and it's name is Jet 1642. Cheers!
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Ahhh! The vortex is stroooooooong!...Bill...

I have had no experience with the Delta so on that I will be mute. I have had a Nova 16-24 for about a year and love it. I did buy the outboard rigger but have not used it. I would suggest putting the outrigger off unless you have an immediate need (16" is pretty darn big). However, I do use the swivel on almost every bowl. I only turn it out 22.5 but that gives a lot more room to work from. Please consider I am a rookie, my old lathe was an 80’s Jet tube lathe.
    I guess the Delta VS is variable speed. My nova has the 8 speed belt but I don’t think I have ever changed it more than 3 speeds for any turning. The Nova is offered in variable speed but for a grand $…Not. Takes me about 2 minutes to change the belt speed, I guess I must be slow. . they say 20 seconds. Low speed is 215.
    Oh, it is a LOT quieter than my Mom’s Singer was.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Yes, the Novas look like great lathes too. I certainly wasn't saying the Jet was the only good one. I saw the Novas and I liked the compactness of the DRV one and the fact that the headstock rotates. I have this on my Delta and I did all my bowls with the headstock rotated. But the Nova DRV seemed kind of pricey considering it doesn't include legs. But I'd happily take one if somebody gave it to me.

If you think the vortex is strong around these machines you should only look at a Oneway through a telescope!!! Can't ever see myself upgrading from my 1642.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

[QUOTE=William Bolen;1193855]Ahhh! The vortex QUOTE]

it sucks you in!!!!!!! that term alone is a work of art.
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

woooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!! I'm getting my lathe tommorow!!!!! pictures to come........ ....
    “The key to change... is to let go of fear.”

Fortunately for me, my Woodcraft store does not stock any big lathes (12" and the occasional 14" as as big as I have seen there). That helps with the vortex sucking. Of course, it's a pain when you actually WANT to try out equipment.

Alan - I've had my Jet 1642 for almost 3 years now and it is still a pleasure to use each and every time I turn! Doesn't mean I don't think about a bigger swing every once in a while - but very happy with the capabilities of the Jet!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yes, I guess it never ends; the longing for something better and bigger. But when I see and hear high quality equipment it just does something to me. I guess that's part of the vortex sucking us all in.

Alan - I can tell you from personal experience - moving up from a Craftsman mono-tube to the Jet 1642 made a huge difference in my turnings. Quality equipment allows you to focus on what you are creating as opposed to fighting the tool for every little thing you want to do! Seriously - the only regret I had with the Jet was that I took so long to make the decision and get it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I hear you Steve and I also hear that loud wooshing sound. Oh no here I go getting sucked in again. It's hopeless. I can't wait to get that lathe but it will probably wait until I move again. I don't want to have to move anymore cast iron than I have to. It really gets expensive and back breaking. But I agree, it's easier and less frustrating to work with the best tools you can afford.

I bought a Jet 1642-2hp in 2004. That seemed like a good starter lathe at the time, but as time goes along, I have found that it meets my needs entirely. I had high requirements... I wanted electronic variable speed and reversing. Those two features go beyond the inexpensive lathes

Many of my friends have Oneway 2436. Those bad boys are something. Another group have the Powermatic 3520. Other than the additional weight and a 20-inch swing, the power of the 1642 is the same. After five years, I am still happy with the 1642.

I picked up a Jet 1014VS. That is really nice for pens and other small items. Dozens of people in the Seattle club have those mini lathes for specific uses -- and they are portable.
    Fred

"Precision woodscraps"

I just don't know guys. My Powermatic 3520 is as quiet as a mouse, smooth as silk, a lovely mustard color, calls to make sure I am having a good day each and every day, brings me coffee in the morning and tucks me in bed every night. Can it get any better? Why would you want another?

Last year I upgraded from a Palmgren 15" lathe (same as craftsman) to a Nova 1625. I could not be happier. I love the 1624, and my turning has improved dramatically. The 1624 is my third lathe, and it will be a long time before the next upgrade.

Dan