Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: carvewright owner and want to go bigger?????

Guy,

Thanks for the In-site and yes that was a 10 Axis CNC.... Ooops...

Saw Chris the other day, he is very busy but did put the WB 2000 on a sled and scanned it making the pattern.... I think it is on hold for now he is very busy too. The WB 2000 was a small Bat that Guy made while we watched with TEXT for us.

Good Job going for the extra CW's. Keep me on your short list of fix it advice. My email and phone number are on my website.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

steve

on getting a rock chuck......dont wait till you have a fire to get a fire extinguisher. i believe and maybe al will back me on this that the rock prevents problems by reducing vibration in the machine.

when i get another carver i will put one on first thing without hesitation
    i think the rock will be the savior of the carvewright and i cant understand why lhr wont look at installing them when the machine is new.

i wish you luck and hope you post some pics of what your making for all of us to see.

as for buying used machine i think if i had the money i would buy new and get it into production right away and maybe have a used machine for parts. if you run into problems with a used machine you are producing nothing.

i bought one of my machine new and purchases a used one off the forum.

i got lucky and got a good used machine with upgrades and extra parts that runs like my new one.

good luck

kendall

Blog Entries

Spindles Al... spindles! LOL

Al, you crack me up man.

Its 10 spindles not 10 axis!

Anyhow, for those of you who are wondering what the WB 2000 is... here is a photo of Al Who, with the "Wife-beater 2000" that I made when he came to tour our shop. I made the Wife-beater 2000 to demonstrate 4th axis engraving on a cylinder. After posting this photo, at the Carvewright Forum, the thread quickly moved from 4th axis work to one joke after another about Al never being seen in photos. Al and a few others are trying to figure out a way to make the Carvewrights do 4th axis and indexing operations and came to see our machines to get a first hand look at some procedures and how the 4th axis or indexer relates to the spindle travel.

The bats themselves, were actually leftover table legs from a project that I made back before Christmas. A kids craft table that was engraved with the twin boy's names and baseballs. Pictures of the table are here for good measure as well.

The original post from the Carvewright forum is quoted below. Al can explain the Al Who joke if he wants.

"Here is a photo of Bob (Al's brother) Chris and Al Who? proudly displaying their "Wife-beater 2000" souvenirs. I set up the engraving on the 4th Axis on our ShopBot so they could get a first hand look at how the piece rotates. It was a great day to have them at our shop. They are all stand up guys and welcome in our shop and homes anytime."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Talking

It's the small important details I always get WRONG.... First the Hair Goes then the Memory....

Thanks for the pictures. Things are really picking up in my shop between all the CW work and Fire Tag stuff... Busy is GOOD....

Thanks,

AL

AL who... It's a joke about if I called LHR to ask an engineer a question they would ask... AL who?.... Having thousands fix it posts on the forum doesn't count... So it's AL who?....
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 08-16-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Rock Chuck......

Steve,

The first thing you should do with that new/used CW you just purchased, besides getting it up and running, is to buy a Rock Chuck and install it. The second thing you should do is buy a second RC and install it on your other machine. Period.

I think someone said it in this thread somewhere but......... 80% of the problems associated with any problem on the CW is generated from the vibrations etc, of the original QC. Change to a Rock Chuck? Not totally sure, as the jury is still out, but all of those 80% of problems disappear with the RC installed. Again.... period.

I've owned my CW for two years. Was totally disappointed with it until I installed the Rock Chuck. Now I can't keep from running it day or night! The neighbors love it too! My only issue is learning to use all of the features of the software that comes with it. Call me computer challenged I guess.

Good luck.

Dave Garcia
    The Wood Block, Ltd

PS: When you do get your two RC's, there are some pretty hard and fast rules to follow in removing the original QC in order to install the RC. Adhere to them to the letter and no worries. Don't do so, and you'll be spending more money fixing what you broke in the process than what you paid for that used CW that you just purchased.

rock chuck

Thanks Dave, I ordered 2 rock chucks a week ago and am awaiting their arival. last carving i did it was shaking like crazy while using a 1/4" roundover.
    Got 3 machines now , 2 running one almost there, looking for more!
    steve

steve i have one in working order 700.00$ actually i think i spoke to al about this sometime ago so if he wants it i should consider that.

jim mcgrew 803 518 2074

I picked up #4 for $500.00 and it was a bad Flat Cable feeding the Z. It was installed too short as part of the Z Bundle and when the head was all the way left it was taunt around the Z encoder. I had 2 spare cables and was running quickly. Internal wires were broke at the bend.

I am looking for #5.... Just need to make the money to buy it.... Like broken machines as they are cheaper.

Doing a 2 day show this weekend, mostly all wood stuff... Should be interesting....

AL