Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brunch with Norm Abram

Brunch with Norm Abram

Old Sturbridge Village here in Sturbridge, MA is hosting a brunch with Norm October 24th.

http://www.osv.org/orders/listprograms.html?ID=53

No affiliation outside of living in the same town, but my father alerted me to it and I just bought two tickets for us. Should be interesting to get to chat with him.

Now to just figure out what to ask that he hasn't been asked a 1000 times.

Ok, you win "gloat of the day!" There are several who don't like Norm but I likely would not have developed an interest in wwing if not for TOH and NYWS. I'm envious! Maybe ask about his hand tool usage? IIRC he uses block planes and such much more than is actually shown on NYWS.

That sounds like a great day. I for one have nothing but respect for Norm. I grew up watching both his shows and find his work and dedication to public television inspirational. Can anyone explain the culture of Norm bashing that floats around? The man is humble, gracious, and unpretentious. How are these bad things?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    That sounds like a great day. I for one have nothing but respect for Norm. I grew up watching both his shows and find his work and dedication to public television inspirational. Can anyone explain the culture of Norm bashing that floats around? The man is humble, gracious, and unpretentious. How are these bad things?
    Envy IS a bad thing, I think.

Blog Entries
    Remember, no pics - didn't happen. BTW, I would go in a heartbeat.

That sounds like a great brunch. I credit the man for getting me to think that I could actually build better then I could buy, and the rapid slide down the slippery slope soon there after!

Hello,
    Now to just figure out what to ask that he hasn't been asked a 1000 times
    Ask him if he'd be interested in adopting a 57 year old (me)!

I do not know that I would would ask him a whole lot of questions other than ones that would come from normal conversation. It would be nice just to be able to talk to him and maybe share some mutual experiences. Don't get me wrong, I would like to ask a few questions but I would like it to be more that just a question and answer session.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Michael.... I am not the least bit envious!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Congrats Michael! Count me in as a big fan of Norm! If I were in your shoes and had a chance to ask him a question - probably ask him if he would like to come over and see my shop! Norm always comes across as just one of the guys and someone who would be easy to be friends with.

Enjoy your brunch! And - Jim's right - take lots of photos!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Love him or hate him, he is a big part of what made the hobby and industry we're all a part of today. Just can't deny that.

Funny thing is I live in Sturbridge, and my father is the one who found this and alerted me to it.

Fond memories as a kid sitting on the couch on Sundays watching NYW with dad. Should be a good time, and yes pics will definetly be taken and posted.

Any other creekers in the area planning on going let me know, would be great to meet in person.

I am considering it

Thanks for the post. Although I am a OSV member and drive by it every day on my way to work, I didn't realize this was going on. I would also like to meet some of the Creekers from the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Poller View Post

Now to just figure out what to ask that he hasn't been asked a 1000 times.
    I guess I would be more interested in just chatting about things outside woodworking. I mean, he has been asked about tools/woodworking 1000's of times. I imagine he has canned answers for all those questions. I have already read an article about how he got his big break on This Old House, etc.

I think you guys have a good idea for direction there if I do get a chance to chat with him.

We know, or at least so much information is already available, related to his wood working and career.

What about what he does when he's not working wood in the shop? Any other hobbies? Interests? Etc...

An observation of mine

Several years ago my wife and I met Steve Thomas at a home improvement show in Salt Lake City. I felt like I was shaking hands with a long time friend. We have invited the folks from TOH and NYW into our homes for decades now on TV. They are not actors playing a part, what you see is the real person. So when we are lucky enough to meet them face to face, we see them as old friends, yet they don't know us from Adam. I don't feel this way about anyone else on TV because they are playing a character, they are not themselves.

Just an observation I have made.

I like Norm, I have the cheesy free picture of him I downloaded from the internet. It is framed and hanging in my shop, because I truly believe if not for him, I would not have a shop at all. Most of what my wife and I have created in the shop has been for family. Our daughter commented once that our hobby was great because it brought happiness to us and to others too.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic