Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eagles pick up Vick...

He shot, drowned, and hung innocent dogs and squealed with delight as he watched those dogs die terrified. Isn't this how serial killers get their start? What happens when he gets tired of watching dogs die? Does he start on humans? Is it a bigger kick? It is still inside him. No matter what comes out of his mouth, now that he wants to get rich again, he is still less than human to me.

Dog lover, Vick hater.

He was convicted by a jury of his peers. I don't think there is any question about what he did. This is not a case where he has been labeled guilty by association or hung by the press and not a court.

And, yes, technically he has paid his debt to society. That is why he is now free. Just because he is free and has paid his debt, however, does not in my mind mean that the NFL should permit him to play, or that the Eagles should hire him. The NFL and the Eagles--as well as the AFL and the rest of professional sports franchises--should take some responsibility for recognizing that the people they hire are role models, not simply point scorers.

I'm with KO on this one. He's toxic to me and if anyone puts him in an endorsement, they are off my shopping list. Just because we allow him to roam free in society doesn't mean he has the right to command respect or a seven digit salary.

Michael and his brother have a track record concerning the law here in our area.
    Goodbye and good riddance Michael Vick
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-15-2009 at 3:39 PM.

Vick

I"m glad he is not going to play for panther"s We love the two dogs that we saved from this type of activity.
    Eddie

I'm pretty much disgusted by the whole thing. There is more to life than Ws.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I have two dogs and I love them as much as I love many humans. I definitely consider myself a dog lover.

What he did is so disgusting that it truly makes me sick to think about. It revealed an evil that has to be deeply a part of who he is... otherwise he wouldn't get any pleasure out of watching those innocent dogs be tortured and killed.

BUT I also think he deserves a second chance on this one. He may only be truly remorseful because he was caught and his his evil side was revealed to the world. But I think all of us need to take a look in the mirror. How often in our lives have we done something wrong, that we knew was wrong, and continued doing it until we got caught? And at that moment, when the light is cast on you, you realize how terrible what you've done is? You begin to look in your soul and you sincerely become remorseful.

Regardless of how bad the behavior is, I think most any human can relate to this. No, I'm not a child molester or dog fighter or drug dealer, etc. I think at our core, we all have evil tendencies of some kind, and we have a tendency to hide it and let it fester until it's discovered... then we really do feel sincerely terrible about it.

The guy messed up big time. And the guy paid for it bigtime. He lost all of his worldly possessions and and did a fair amount of jail time. He's shown signs of genuine remorse and is getting involved in the community- particularly youth who are more likely to be introduced to dog fighting. The NFL made it crystal clear that he's hanging by a thread.

Give the guy a shot to prove himself.

Red face Any Team Playing the Eagles Gets to use this...

Thought this might be appropriate. Middle Linebacker??
    Attached Images Attached Images

One either has empathy or they do not. The heinous nature of Vick's actions reveals a person devoid of one of the most fundamental, distinguishing attributes of a human being.

There is no rehabilitation for someone that lacks empathy. I'm sure he is remorseful, but not for the reasons we would hope for.

He has served his time, paid his debt to society and so on. He is free to pursue life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That the NFL would welcome him back into their operations is a clear sign that their values are not in line with mine.

I doubt this will prevent me from watching games, but ever more I grow accustomed to watching professional sports with a jaundiced eye and a continuously growing feeling of guilt as my viewing is a tacit approval of their policy.

It's simply disgusting.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henry View Post
    Here are my thoughts. I am not a fan of MV nor do I support what he did in anyway...but this is a multi-billion dollar game and its all about putting a W next to your name at the end of the day. MV will add more W's next to the Eagles name this season. He has did his time and many big names are standing behind him and supporting him. For this I won't burn all my Eagles gear and I will still support them with picking up MV. Go Birds!
    From a Falcon to an Eagle, y'all can have him! Just don't start counting those Ws too soon. I don't think his game is going to be the same.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I have similar concerns about my neighbors.

I live in the sonora desert. It is currently 105f outside as I type this. Two weeks ago, it was 117f.

I have neighbors who come from [Someplace-that-isn't-Las-Vegas]. They have dogs. They keep their dogs outside in this hellish climate. No doghouse, insufficient water, never allowed inside the house. They think that's ok. I don't.

I called animal control one time. The person who picked up the phone said, "I sympathize, but they come from [Someplace-that-isn't-Las-Vegas], it's a cultural thing. If we took their dogs, we'd have to take half the dogs in Las Vegas."

My reply.... "So?????"

I've quit trying, and instead hope for a quick and merciful death for these animals, who suffer every day without shelter in this heat.

Vick is just an extreme example of a societal problem -- a society that has no qualms about rodeo, sportfishing, bullfighting, running with the bulls in Pamplona, cockfights, dogfights, etc.

(Keep in mind, I hunt. I fish. But I only kill what I'll eat. If it's not worth eating, why kill the animal? For sport?)

PS -- How do I prevent killing fish I have no intention of eating? Riffe speargun, naturally...
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; 08-14-2009 at 7:40 PM.
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

Watched Vick in the interview. Put some horns on him and it is Lucifer!

it seems when you mix talent and the NFL then no crime can be bad enough for them short of murder perhaps. Who thought the NFL would not take him back? This man is acting and talking just like his lawyers told him to. He is not real and it should be obvious.

Some things people do they just can't take back. They say the true mark of a person is how they treat people who have no recourse. I think we found out what kind of piece of garbage this guy is. And what kind of pieces of garbage anyone who would pay him millions of dollars and peddle him as some sort of idol.
    I hope the Eagles play to an empty stadium until this guy is gone.
    The sad thing is that it ain't gonna happen.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

My initial impression is that he is going through the PR talking points, saying the right things.

It is obvious that he lacks empathy. Perhaps someone with credentials can weigh in on this, but I don't believe that empathy can be taught. You either have it or you don't. Therefore, Vick is not truely remorseful. Vick IS a monster and apparently the NFL is just the place for him.

Gotta go, my dog wants to play, she's brought four tug toys to me in the past five minutes. And now she's just sitting here staring at me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 08-15-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    From a Falcon to an Eagle
    Hey welcome back stranger,

You been working, shirking or lurking?
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.