Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A pet peave of mine

Angry A pet peave of mine

People who ask you for advice that is freely given, and then when they get a great deal on something they try to sell it to you for 3 times what they paid for it. I'm not against making a profit, however; I think that is just trying to take advantage of people.

I'm a computer programmer who used to be a computer tech so I'm pretty knowledgable about the suckers. So when I do a side job for a company I expect to get a pretty good check out of it, but if I'm asked by an acquaintance for advice, within reason I give it freely. That is just like this board, some of you guys on here make your living by knowledge us amatures wish we had, and when we ask a question, thank goodness, you guys are willing to give that advice.

If I had given someone advice, then they offer to sell me something they got a great deal on for 3 times more than they paid for it, I'm sorry, I'm going to be insulted and well I think anyone should be.

None of my friends have ever tried to make a profit off me. You might want to be sure of what you are calling a friend.

I caught that, too, Rick. I agree with you.

It's too late, now, I guess. I suppose I'm glad I know who to avoid, though.
    Last edited by Jason Beam; 08-14-2009 at 5:06 PM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Yup. Kinda tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    I caught that, too, Rick. I agree. If you're going to try to profit from a deal you got thanks to this place, do it somewhere else so we don't know you're a snake. Too late, now, I guess. I suppose I'm glad I know who to avoid, though.
    Jason,

Without knowing who y'all are talking about - your comment could be miscontrued as being directed at Rick. I'd suggest you reword your post a bit so that's clearer. FYI, you have 24 hours to edit your post from when you post it.

Rob

My advice is free......and most often, that's all it's worth.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
    My advice is free......and most often, that's all it's worth.
    My advice is worth half what it costs.

I'm sorry for whatever it is that happened to prompt this thread. Having been on the receiving end of a very unpleasant experience with a now-vanished member of this forum, I know the bad feelings. There is a sense of trust and fair play here at SMC for the most part. When a bad apple sneaks in and we get bit, it hurts extra bad.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One of my pet peeves is that unspeakably poor grammatical habit that people have who are incapable of distinguishing between an adverb and an adjective and then bring failing that to a casual greeting.

"It's not good~!" I want to say.
    But alas, you can lead a horse to water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    One of my pet peeves is that unspeakably poor grammatical habit that people have who are incapable of distinguishing between an adverb and an adjective and then bring failing that to a casual greeting.

Are you saying those with out the benefit of perfect English should not post?

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Blog Entries

What?

11. Quote Originally Posted by Al Willits View Post
    Are you saying those with out the benefit of perfect English should not post?
    I re re-read my post just because I was unsure how you got to that construction. Nope, I said nothing at all about people posting.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    What?
    Easy answer:
    Google good vs well

I'm not trying to be confrontational. But, would you please elaborate? I'm finding these posts cryptic yet intriguing!

Shawn et al,

I believe what Cliff was talking about was when people answer the question "How are you doing?" with "I'm doing good," rather than "I'm doing well."

Cliff,

I haven't evolved enough linguistically to get tweaked by that type of foible. I'm still stuck on people using then/than a/an where/were/ware/we're correctly.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I get tweaked by improper use of to and too. Another is the use of at, like "where are you at", that one drives me crazy.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.