Thread: Dennis Stewart Hollowing System

Dennis Stewart Hollowing System

Last week, I had the opportunity to use the Stewart Hollowing System (hooker tool and forearm brace). The tool seemed to be very substantial and it felt comfortable to use. Does anyone on this forum use this tool? If so, would you please share your experiences (both positive and negative)? I'd like to know as much as possible about the tool before I finalize a purchase decision. Thanks.

Steve

Steve, I've used the Stewart tools for years, but I don't have to use that type of tool very often. At the time of my purchase, there were very few other choices. I'm happy with the tool, but other non-segmenters probably have much more experience in this area.

I use the Don Pencil system, which is essentially the same thing but at a better price. It works very well and is generally comfortable to use.

These days, there are a number of similar systems on the market, so do a little shopping around for the one that suits you best before you decide.

These are all what I consider intermediate systems -- between handled tools and captured rigs. They work well on medium sized hollow forms. Very large and/or deep forms will require a larger bar than you could put into (or would want to hold with) one of these arm braces. They can be adapted down to small tools for smaller forms, though I find it more convenient to use the small tools with conventional handles instead. They are very versatile.

i use the don pencil and am very satisfied with the price ,quality and service. very easy to use .

Concern about safety

Steve,

On another forum recently, there was a vigorous discussion about such "free hand" hollowing systems. The issue is one of safety and of creative freedom. Some turners just enjoy hollowing more free hand. They feel some of the art is lost using a captured bar or articulated arm hollowing tool.

Others are concerned about the safety of arm-brace tools. Hollowing involves a lot of rotational forces -- that's why turners "need" the extra "control" an arm-brace provides. It helps you to keep those forces under control and keeps the tool from twisting as you make a cut. But what happens if there's a catch? The only place for those forces to be absorbed is your wrist, elbow, and shoulder. The tool is locked in to your arm and you can't let go quick enough to prevent an injury.

At least, that's the theory. Many turners have used arm-brace systems for years and have never had a problem. On the other hand, several turners posted to the other forum about turners they knew who had been severely injured.

This is just FYI.

Sounds like a lot of excuses to help justify the expenditure on a captured system. If an armbrace system is being used properly, there is very little rotational force involved. You really shouldn't have problems with catching either if you are cutting properly. Granted, a catch will yank the tool in your hand (probably a better argument to use straight handles than to use a captured system). But if you get a catch with a captured system, the tool doesn't move and instead you orbit the piece. That isn't too safe either if you ask me.

Any handheld system certainly does put more stress on your arms, shoulders, etc. If you are going to do a lot of it for many years, it probably is a good idea to step up to a captured system (or better, an articulated arm system) when you can afford it, but for most hobbists it is a luxury, not a requirement. -- IMO, YMMV

Arm Brace

I bought my Stewart tool in 1987 and have hollowed hundreds of HF's with it. I've never come close to an injury. Believe me, in the early days of it's use I had plenty of catches. The secret to safely using an arm brace tool is to keep the tool tucked in against your side at all times and control it by moving your body. It's called the woodturners dance.

The Stewart and the copies of it have a great feature that other tools don't have. The cutter can be swiveled so that it's always being presented to the wood in the most efficient way no matter where you are cutting inside the vessel.

To use an arm brace system you must have a lathe that allows you to stand facing the piece being turned. A shortbed lathe, a lathe with an outboard bed or a lathe with a sliding headstock.

I'm convinced that nearly all large catches are the result of losing control of the tool in a small catch. The arm brace helps to avoid that.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 08-18-2009 at 4:27 PM.

Steve, I bought a Don Pencil system back in 2006 because I got an incredible price on it. It is very similar to the Stewart system. I started hollowing on my Jet mini using the armbrace. I don't use the cutters that came with it but use my Kelton Hollowers instead. For me, the combination of the armbrace and the Keltons make this a wonderful tool to use.

When turning with the armbrace, I agree whole heartedly with Wally in his statement that you must have a lathe that allows you to stand at the end of the bed. I have a Jet mini and the new Delta 46-460. Both are short beds, which contributes to the safety in using the armbrace. If you have a shortbed or can make your lathe a shortbed, buy the Stewart or another brand. If you don't have a shortbed, go the captured route.

BTW, I now have two captured systems in addition to the armbrace, but use still use the armbrace from time to time.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.

Thank You!

Thanks for all your feedback. I've decided to look for a used Dennis Stewart or Don Pencil Scorpion hollowing system. I thought I had one bought on eBay last night, but lost it in the last 30 seconds of bidding! Thanks again. (If you have a Dennis Stewart or Don Pencil system you want to sell, please let me know.)

Steve, Don sells his "B" stock on his website at a very significant discount. My penny jar isn't full yet, but when it is that's how I intend to get the most bang for my buck