Thread: New Yankee Workshop Exterior Door

New Yankee Workshop Exterior Door

Has anyone used the technique that Norm used for an exterior door?

What technique was it that he used?
    Howie.........

Dick, I have sliding doors on my barn and they work well on the barn but I wouldnt want them on my shop because they are to hard to get a seal ( at least for me )....I used a cheap set of french doors ( metal and both swing open ) they have a 6 ft opening and seal really good and easy to install. also they lock easy for security
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Dick, I have sliding doors on my barn and they work well on the barn but I wouldnt want them on my shop because they are to hard to get a seal ( at least for me )....I used a cheap set of french doors ( metal and both swing open ) they have a 6 ft opening and seal really good and easy to install. also they lock easy for security

David,
    I think he is refering to the exterior door, Norm built as a project for a TOH show, not the shop door.

Entrance door, item 0702

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    David,
    I think he is refering to the exterior door, Norm built as a project for a TOH show, not the shop door.

Entrance door, item 0702
    OOOOOOHHHHHH....guess I didnt see that one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Does he use a technique to make the door that's novel or unusual in some way?

If he is talking about the entrance door that just aired, he used loose tenon joinery

Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The technique I am referring to is for the panels. He routs a groove inside of the rails and styles after they are glued together which is then used to receive a piece of 1/2" MDO. The MDO serves as the attachment point for the moldings which hold the panels in position.

Dick, I work in a shop that makes a lot of exterior doors and we use that technique with applied moldings regularly. We do not assemble the frame then route the grooves however. We put the grooves into the rails and stiles with the shaper, haunch the tenons as needed, and glue in either MDO or marine grade plywood as an attachment point for the moldings. Works great.

Sometimes the moldings are nailed on, sometimes we assemble them like picture frames with miter spring clamps and glue them on with out nails using cork lined cauls across the door. Depends on the spec for the job.