Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freud 3 hp plunge $99...get it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freud 3 hp plunge $99...get it?

Hi all,
    The local Wood Craft has this guy for $99 (i always feel insulted by this kind of pricing...why not $100??)
    Seems like a great deal but I have never owned or used Freud tools other than blades.
    http://www.freud-tools.com/freudft2000e.html

Could this thing find a home in my router table?

Thanks in advance
    Colin

Blog Entries
    I've got one mounted in my RT and love it.

about 6 months ago they had the non plunge on sale for $99 and its adjustable from above the table and you can change bits above the table, I got it.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Thanks...Hmm, comes with a decent edge guide too. Those run 20-30+
    I hate to pass up a great deal.

A man always needs an extra router, and that's a bargain.
    Maurice

Are you sure it's the 3-1/4 hp? I saw the 2-1/4 on sale. If it is the 3 hp, BUY it. The 2-1/4 is pretty good for a 100 buck router. The 3 must be better.

It has the above the table adjustment, so it should be fine in a table, although the manual said the bolt pattern may not be "standard" so it may not fit some of the commercial plates.

I've had an FT2000 (same thing) dedicated to a RT since 1997. It's a great router, and at $99 is a great deal. There are better ones out there now, but a lot more money. For the first several years, I just had the router on a plain plate, and used the knob to adjust it up and down. About 5 years ago or so I added a Plunge-lift. The single most commonly heard complaint about is that the base opening isn't large enough for the largest panel raisers...I cut mine out to accept them. I was so happy with the 2000 in the RT, I bought a second one shortly after that to use when I needed a large hand held router. Both are still in service. The other thing, mine didn't come with a 1/4" collet, rather they used to put in a split ring for 1/4" bits (that sucks). But I thought with the 2200 they started putting in both collets. To be sure, some of the newer routers (the Milwaukee, the Freud 1700, and others) that have built in through the base cranking and other features are nicer, but they cost more.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Hargis View Post
    The single most commonly heard complaint about is that the base opening isn't large enough for the largest panel raisers...nicer, but they cost more
    I have always been puzzled by this. I own the FT2000E and use raised panel bits. Yes, the opening is too small for the bit to pass through but I just mount the bit above the base (as it sits in the router table)
    Freud demo that unit all the time in their demo truck that way. Never was an issue for me.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Are you sure it's the 3-1/4 hp? I saw the 2-1/4 on sale. If it is the 3 hp, BUY it. The 2-1/4 is pretty good for a 100 buck router. The 3 must be better.

It has the above the table adjustment, so it should be fine in a table, although the manual said the bolt pattern may not be "standard" so it may not fit some of the commercial plates.
    Freud has more than one router, and it's important to differentiate the models and their features.

The older FT2000 became the FT2200 that was linked to....15 amp 3-1/4 hp, plunge base, no above table features, and has the small throat opening.

They also have the newer FT1700 13 amp 2-1/4hp and FT3000 15 amp 3-14/hp...both have excellent above table functions. The 1700 is available in fixed base or fixed/plunge combo kit. The FT3000 is plunge only.

I've owned the FT2000 and currently have the FT1700 in my router table. Both are good routers...the FT2200 seems a good deal at $99, or $129, but $196 is too much for what it offers compared to other top choices. The FT1700 is excellent in the router table, with some consideration for the fact that it's only 13 amps...not as strong as the 15 amp, but more than adequate for most tasks and I love the above table bit changes.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-18-2009 at 9:45 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That router does not support above-the-table bit changes.

This one does, however...

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT3000VC...0537745&sr=8-3

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wollerman View Post
    Hi all,
    The local Wood Craft has this guy for $99 (i always feel insulted by this kind of pricing...why not $100??)
    Seems like a great deal but I have never owned or used Freud tools other than blades.
    http://www.freud-tools.com/freudft2000e.html

Could this thing find a home in my router table?

Thanks in advance
    Colin

11. It looks a darn sight better than the Triton.
    That rotating depth collar looks like be metal not plastic
    I bet it's worth $99.99999
    They are discontinuing it Which might account for the pricing.

How many do they have?
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 08-17-2009 at 4:22 PM.

Thanks for the insight.

I called to confirm. It is the 3 1/4 HP and does not have the above table adjustment and It does come with the edge guide.
    I asked them to hold it for me but they said they have plenty in stock.

Thanks again
    C

A couple options for height adjustment

I have the FT2000E. I started with a crank on the threaded rod that limits plunge up travel. That worked okay but I didn't want to have to bend over to crank it and had an amazon gift card. I bought the router raizer for $89 and it has been fine. I've seen where people have done roll-your-own router raizers using threaded rod, couplings, hex socket headed bolts etc. Woodpeck.com has their plunge lift. There's several ways to skin the router table lift cat.

You can feel even more insulted now, I just clicked on the link that you provided and the price is up to $196.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wollerman View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

I called to confirm. It is the 3 1/4 HP and does not have the above table adjustment and It does come with the edge guide.
    I asked them to hold it for me but they said they have plenty in stock.

Thanks again
    C

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    You can feel even more insulted now, I just clicked on the link that you provided and the price is up to $196.
    Hi Paul,
    That link was just to show the router. I think the $99 WoodCraft price is a local deal although I have not checked their site.
    Also, I have been meaning to tell you your PBB set ups have been inspiring. Thanks for posting.
    Aloha,
    C