Thread: new workshop planning help?

Talking new workshop planning help?

I am planning on building a new workshop as it stands I am in one of those 9x10 metal buildings from lowes. I only have room for about 12x24 is this big enough, and what are some good features to add for storage of lumber? I will be building it myself and am planning on a concrete pad with standard studs osb sheeting with dryvit on the outside a metal roof and a garage door. I dont want to build and then be dissatisfied so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hanover NH or Jensen Beach FL or somewhere in between
    Justin, only you can answer the "...is this big enough?" question. What will you build in this shop? What stationary machines (if any) will you require?

...I speak from 45 years experience...your shop will always be too small...

Old, fat guy on the set of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" October '09

Shop

I agree with Nate, it depends on your tools etc., and as he said it WILL be too small, no matter how big it is. You could use this planner to layout your space just for kicks. http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx Have fun and congrats on your new shop.

I will be upgrading my 14 in bandsaw to 17 I'm getting a jet contractor saw 12 1/2 in planer on a stand and I am wanting to get a stationary jointer instead of my benchtop model. I mainly build electric guitars. Is storing lumber in the rafters a good or bad idea?

wood storage

Of course, the rafters will be warmer and probably more moist, so it may not be a good idea to store there. I think some of these guys do, however, so hopefully they will chime in with their opinions, as I am far from an expert on wood storage and moisture.

MY workshop is about 12x30, so it's about the dimensions of yours. Here's some lessons learned:

12' will be workable but a little narrow. So, the more mobile stands, the better.

I put all my power tools at one end of the shop and my workbench at the other end. My jointer is to the left of my table saw (perpendicular) and my benchtop planer is to the right of my saw, under the right xt wing. My dc is behind those three tools. It's amazingly compact and versatile and I haven't had any limitations yet. It also keeps all the dust down at one end.

Since your bench will have to be up against one wall, I'd make it no deeper than 24". I like having a wall of cabinets up above my bench, 16" deep, because it makes it easy to reach stuff.

If you're planning on pegboard or hanging storage near the bench, then I'd build it on the front of the cabinet door - not flush to the back wall (as I have now). It's a pain to reach for the higher items.

Long and narrow shops have a lot of wall space relative to the floor space. USE IT. Put in lots of outlets and shelves/cabs along the walls.

Last, a shop vac is always in the way in a narrow shop. Consider the Rockler Dust Right system as a shopvac. It hangs on the wall and has a compactable hose that will reach every corner of yr shop yet will hang out of the way when done.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-19-2009 at 8:51 AM.

I am planning to build TWO 12x16 buildings as no permits are needed. One will have a barn style roof and lofts on both ends. With a 12x24 I would still consider doing a barn roof and building a loft. Keep the center area open for material handling. Make sure the lof floor joists are strong enough and/or close enough to support whatever load you expect + some. 2x6 @ 12" OC would work for 30#/sf load and 2x8 @ 12" would work for 50#/sf. If you are will to have a column in hte shop floor and run a beam from the end to the center then the spans drop to 6' and 2x6 joists @ 16" would be good for 60# / sf. Those values are from the span tables put out by the southern Pine council, based on SYP #2 or better. As to room, depends on how neander you get. I've been in several guitar shops that had neither table saw, planer, or jointer. Band saw and a variety of sanders were their tools of choice, and for solid body guitars, a router.