Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My son wants a .22 rifle

My son wants a .22 rifle

OK...it's only been many years since I've even been the slightest bit interested in a .22 caliber rifle. My son is 14 and he and I both feel it's past time for him to gain more experience with rifles. He wants to buy himself a .22 and I'm just trying to figure out what is the best rifle for the least amount of money I can get..either new or used...for him to see if he really likes a .22 caliber or not.

I do know he wants to get himself a deer rifle at some point in the not to distant future, but that's a whole different story there.

So what are your points, advice, and experiences.??
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis,

Remington and Marlin both make some relatively cheap 22 caliber rifles that will shoot within an acceptable level accuracy and not break the bank with the purchase.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dennis - I have had a Marlin for over 35 years and like any other rifle - once you use it regularly - it is extremely accurate. I highly recommend Marlin - very reliable, accurate and easy to shoot!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The Ruger 10/22 is an excellent 22. It's a semi-auto that has a 10 shot rotary magazine. After your son decides he likes shooting it can use the basic gun to "build" a gun he can use for target shooting. You can change more on this rifle than any other I'm aware of, barrels, stocks etc. I'm a gunsmith and have built many of these guns for myself and others.
    I'm glad to see some of our younger people take an interest in the shooting sports. You should also have him take a good Hunter Ed class if he hasn't already.
    Dave
    My money talks to me... It says Good Bye.

Some people don't care for them, but I like the Handi Rifles. Yes, it's just a single shot (great for training each shot counts). If you buy a 22 with the right action you can change calibers by just buying another barrel. I have barrels ranging from 22k hornet up to a 45/70.

+1 on the Ruger 10/22

I've owned one since '84....Great little rifle!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

+2 on the Ruger 10-22. What a great little rifle. Just took out a groundhog at 93 yards over the weekend. No modifications on this rifle either.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

+3 10-22 are nice rifles. Ammo is cheap and they are nice to shoot.

10/22 in .22 mag

I don't like semi-auto's as a first gun.
    IMO, better to learn on a bolt action with a clip magazine as the first gun, then move to the semi-auto. It's just a little easier for a 14 year old to KNOW when there is a round in the chamber.

+4....i think..... on the 10-22....you can't go wrong.

matt

+5 for the 10-.22, I have two one in 22lr and the other in .22 mag. I like both of them

The Rugar 10/22 is a great rifle, no getting around it. The boy is 14 but how much experience does he have with firearms? I've met several grown men who shouldn't be allowed to carry a bow let alone a rifle. If he is safe with a rifle by all means the Rugar. If he lacks experience a good bolt action might be a better choice. It forces beginners to make the first shot count and they don't get carried away. Just a thought.

I like bolt action rifles regardless of caliber. I think they're more accurate and teach control. They can be loaded one shot at a time or fed from a magazine.

Ruger makes a fine bolt action 22, the model 77/22, and it uses the same 10 round rotary magazine as the 10/22 although it's more money.

I'll take some heat for the following recommendation but here it goes....
    When my son was 10 or 12 he bugged me long and hard for a 22 rifle. I finally gave in and picked out an economical rifle with the offer he pays half, I pay half. What we purchased was a Norinco JW-15. I know...I know Chinese junk. The finish isn't on par with Ruger, Marlin, or Remington but I'd go head to head with any of them. This gun is a copy of a BRNO #1 and shoots like crazy.

I'd check on gunsamerica.com for pricing or go to gunshows and look for some deals.

Good luck Dennis and happy shooting.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I disagree with the thought that a young person needs to learn with a bolt action. Saftey and shooting where he aims, should be the most important things. Not how to operate the gun. As he gets older he will learn to use a bolt action as in the deer rifle. Let him learn how to be safe with the gun and shoot. I recomend the 10/22 also you cant go wrong. It will run a little more than some of the other .22's but he will never out grow it. The gun can be changed to suit him as he gets older.

As with tools you can never go wrong buying good firearms, they perfom better, last longer, and hold their value longer.