Thread: Anyone use Gel Varnish?

Anyone use Gel Varnish?

I'm finishing a cherry hall table, after reading Bob Flexner's book I'm thinking of using Gel Varnish as a finish. I can't find much outside of his book about it, has anyone used this stuff? I've used gel stain before with good results, if this stuff really is a gel stain without pigment then what appeals to me is not a very "filmy" feel to it, satin finish, good protection (varnish), and easy to apply. Just want to make sure it works as advertised.

Thanks,

Jake

There are a lot of sources that recommend a gel stain on cherry. Woodsmith uses a mixture on all of their cherry pieces. Here is an excerpt from one of their instructions:

WOODSMITH CHERRY STAIN
    • Combine 3 parts Zar Cherry Stain with 1 part Jel’d Cherry Stain.
    • Stir or shake until the mixture is creamy and free of lumps.
    WIPE ON.

You apply this mix just like you would an oil stain. Wipe it on, let it sit for a minute, then wipe off the excess. You’ll find that this formula combines the ease of application of an oil stain with the “blotch resistance” of a gel stain. And to top it off, the color looks great on cherry.

I used it once, but I prefer a BLO base, shellac and then topcoats (I use Target WB finishes with an HVLP system).

Roger

I used to use Bartley's Gel Varnish a lot. Then, maybe five years ago, the stuff changed. It lost a lot of its water protection. I stopped using it. I'd strongly suggest testing your proposed finish. Make a sample piece. Put finish on it. Then put as much water on it as you think your woodwork might face. See if it survives.