Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Grizzly Edge Sander?

Which Grizzly Edge Sander?

I've been thinking about an edge sander and since I haven't found a used one close, or at a good enough price to make the drive worthwhile, I'm thinking about a Grizzly. I checked out a G1140 when we stopped in Muncy briefly on the way home from Maine. The table seems like it is maybe a little small on it for larger doors, but maybe I'm mistaken? The G0512 has a larger table but its not metal (plywood, melamine?) Both are effectively about the same price right now due to free shipping on the G0512.

The Grizzly's are about 1/3 less than the next least expensive one I can find from Jet. Am I missing any others? The Jet uses a more common 89" belt, but I see Klingspor sells 80" belts so that's probably not an issue.

I'd tackle building one but it would be really handy for the kitchen project and I don't have time right now.

Hi Matt, have you looked at the GI 89" sander?

It's available in fixed or oscillating version and has a cast iron table.

Regards, Rod.

Matt, I dont have an edge sander but I do have two of grizzly's belt/disc sanders ( G1014 and G1183 ) and both have been is service for over 8 years with no problems....I dont think you would go wrong with either one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Edge sander

Matt, I have that exact same one you are looking at, I attached my own 3/4 in thick table, about 30" in long with a piece of hardwood attached at the motor end of the table fixed at 90 dgrees with a small rabbit for dust removal, did the trick for me. I have a G1071 floor model OSS so I wasnt concerened about it oscillating. the only thing that the oscillating one helps with is getting the most out of your sander belt. what i do is add another sheet of mdf or ply to raise my work piece to use more of the belt and even though the belts aren't made to be used going the other direction I have done so (carefully) to get full use of the belts.

hope that helps

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Custer; 08-12-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Matt, the cast iron table on the GI adjusts vertically so you can use the entire belt.....Rod.

Grizzly G1140

I just bought a Grizzly 1140 last month so I don't have a lot of experience but I do like it. It is really heavy (250 lbs) and works real smooth. So far I am satisfied.

I'm just curious, but what are these used for?
    I put my rails/styles on edge through a drum sander, or simply just run the edges through the jointer.

Both Grizzlies have adjustable tables as well.

I saw the GI in my searches. Based on pictures, I'd say it is the same machine as the Jet. It is comparable in net price (machine plus shipping) but less readily-available.

Paul,

I don't know about others, but I use my edge sander (no name monster that takes 4" x 220" custom belts) for fitting inset cabinet doors on kitchen projects. Put the door into place, shim the hinge and bottom sides to whatever gap the project calls for, then scribe/mark the other sides for equal gaps, then sand to fit. Very simple that way.

Brian

Thanks Matt. Jet is pretty rare here, and Grizzly non-existent.

Regards, Rod.

Matt, I just bought a used PM 6X89 non-oscillating edge sander. It looks the same as the Jet. I like the machine, it works well. However, even at 89 inch belt versus the Grizzly I wish the effective sanding length was longer. If you have the money and space, look for a sander that will handle a longer belt.

The other issue on the PM is the table adjustment. You need 3 or 4 hands to adjust the table. I have read about guys who modify the machine to put some sort of height adjustment on the table but I haven't gotten into that yet.

I haven't run the machine enough to worry about the belts loading up, but it sure has come in handy for sanding the edges on plywood.
    Wood'N'Scout

Hmm. Just found the Shop Fox W1688 and called a local dealer. They can get it for me for $699, making it about $740 after tax AND I help out a local guy. Anyone have one? It looks to be different from either Grizzly offering.

Hi Matt, have you noticed that the Grizzly and Shop Fox sanders seem to have a belt speed that's almost half of many other manufacturers?

Regards, Rod.

No, I haven't. But I haven't read any complaints about that either.

I realized I could use the Bing cashback deal with Grizzly and SWMBO said "order it if you need it" so I'm thinking I'm going to order the G0512 for the larger table. Grizzly posted one today when I asked if it would be possible.

Matt

When I was researching sanders the thing I didn't like about the grizzly's was that you are limited in length to the platten length. None of them have a movable dust hood so doing anything long is next to imposible. I talked to grixxly tech support and they said you could cut them off but why would I bother with that. I need to sand very long stock. I ended up buying the Vega Woodworking non occillating 6x132. I have been very happy with that machine. With the movable dust hood you can sand any length. It has a 48" platten.

Hope that helps.

Quinn