Thread: Self made hammers and mallets show

Self made hammers and mallets show

Thomas Crawford asked for some pictures of self made mallets to take inspiretion from.
    So, here are my home made hammers too (less some that I have lended or that are somewhere around).
    Well, you will not find acrylic infused wood or unhardened A-2 Steel, but they work pretty well the same.
    As you may have guessed I have an insane passion hammers and mallets.
    If you want more detailed photos or informations do not hesitate to ask.

Now it is your turn to show pictures of your self made mallets and hammers.

Auguste, who apologizes for his bad English
    Attached Images Attached Images

Auguste,
    Those are mighty fine striking tools you have made.
    Good Work!

Looking at the sizes, I assume that you made them for heavy work, perhaps stonework; or masonry?

Really like the mallet with the multiple dowels, very nice.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Nice work...thanks for posting!

Thank you very much for the comment, Mike.
    Yes, as you assumed I use the heavier ones for masonery and metalworking.
    They are made with a broken pieces of an agricultural machinery. A sort of spring steel. Arcwelded with common steel pipes

Wooden mallet are made with Robinia pseudoacacia (commonly known as the Black Locust) and Fagus (Beech).

Auguste, who apologizes for his bad English

Many thanks, Jacob.

My first set from many years ago.

My working Hammers, sets, fullers and misc, all but a couple are made by me, the rest were my grandfathers and/or fathers.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I see there are some very talanted hammer makers here. Very nice work.
    And I was feeling pleased with myself because I recently made a couple of comfortable handles for old hammers I had.

Most Blacksmiths who use a Hammer all day long to make a living will thin the neck of their hammers down to create more spring to lessen the jar and vibration to the Wrist and Arm. But first you must obtain quality Hickory Handles that have been made with attention to the grain and the orientation of the grain within the handle. That's why many Smiths and others make their own handles from Riven stock. The pictures show the thinned necks on the left and a normal handle on the right. And most people don't know the difference between and Auxilary Anvil Tool (A tool held by the Smith, with the hot piece of Iron in his other hand while the AAA is hit with a sledge by a Striker (helper). They just think they are Odd Shaped Hammers.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

Harry,you are a HAMMER FREAK!!!!

I need to get off my duff and post pics of some of my little hammers now. I've never made a big hammer,except for mallets.

Auguste,are you implying that my beechwood planes are fags?(fagus)
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-21-2009 at 12:34 PM.

self made hammers and maletts show

Here is mine. I made a few like this and gave all away to customers /friends except one which I kept for myself. It has been extremely useful in metal work especially and I couldn't be without it. Ideal for making small precise adjustments eg when setting things up with clock gauge or persuading things to go together without making marks on them.
    The haft is a drift punch so it is actually a lot less work to make than it would appear.

Harry,I like those diagonal pein(correct word?) hammers. I don't have a good selection of hammers. I haven't developed the blacksmithing area of my new shop yet.

Before I retired,I had the facilities at work to use,and didn't need to develop my own.

My journeyman,Jon,is a real blacksmith type,and he has a good setup. He doesn't live far away,and even has a power hammer.

George, the 10 hammers at the bottom of the pic and the 2 outriggers with specialty hammers are the only hammers in the picture, the rest are Sets, Fullers, Slitters, Eye Punches and flatters.

The Original Name is Quarter Peins, other names, Diagonal pein, Twisted Face, among others.
    Jr.

George, when you get around to setting up your Smith shop, you might consider making a couple of pair of my Universal tongs, a small pair and a larger pair with replace about 20 or 30 pair of tongs as they use a 3 point grip, and will hold round, square, flat, angle iron, and most importantly most any taper firmly, also they will hold things 90 to the jaws effectively.
    Jr.