Thread: Router Bit repair?

Router Bit repair?

99.9% of the time I lurk and get a lot of information and ideas.
    This time I wasn't able to find the info I was looking for.
    I recently bought a freud router bit set (94-100) for $40.us. After closer inspection I discovered that 1/2 of the Matched 99-260 rail and stile set is chipped and broken. The question-can the carbide be replaced? if so, by which company? or do I just junk it and buy new.
    also
    any recommendation on a sharpening service close to Seattle? I looked at freuds site and got a couple of authorized sharpening centers but couldn't find a web site or a listing by the BBB so I will turn to the fine people on this site for a recommendation.
    thanks to all.
    Jim

If only 1 side of the bit is chipped,the bit will probably cut fine. I know of no economical way to fix them.

Jim - maybe I'm missing something, but why not just return it to the store where you bought it and get a replacement?

I have never heard of a way to repair router bits without spending more than a new bit would cost. Sharpening is one thing and can be done fairly easily, but repairing carbide is an exacting undertaking... and not cheap!

Good luck.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If only 1 side of the bit is chipped,the bit will probably cut fine. I know of no economical way to fix them.
    Bad advice.
    If a cutter is chipped, it could also have unseen fractures, causing failure.
    You can return the bit to Freud and they will replace it.
    Perhaps Charles M. will see this post.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    You got the set for the cost of one bit so I am assuming these were used. I know of no cost effective way to fix matched bits. If it is only one face, it may cut fine or it may launch a piece of carbide at you like a bullet. I would be reluctant to use it and would try to return it or see if Freud would warranty it if at all possible.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since Amazon lists this set @ $209 I would guess that paying $40 the OP did not buy it new. Therefore returning to store is probably not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Horton View Post
    99.9% of the time I lurk and get a lot of information and ideas.
    This time I wasn't able to find the info I was looking for.
    I recently bought a freud router bit set (94-100) for $40.us. After closer inspection I discovered that 1/2 of the Matched 99-260 rail and stile set is chipped and broken. The question-can the carbide be replaced? if so, by which company? or do I just junk it and buy new.
    also
    any recommendation on a sharpening service close to Seattle? I looked at freuds site and got a couple of authorized sharpening centers but couldn't find a web site or a listing by the BBB so I will turn to the fine people on this site for a recommendation.
    thanks to all.
    Jim
    Jim,

For the price you paid I will also assume you bought the set used and the damage may have been the reason for the low price. I definitely do not recommend that you try to use the bit if it is damaged in any way. If you would like to return it to Freud for warranty evaluation, we will be happy to inspect it to see if there was a manufacturing defect but I cannot guarantee that it will be covered. PM or email me for return info.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Depends upon how bad the chip is,wether it might be fractured. Sight unseen by us,you might be best advised not to use it.

I was sleepy when I typed that last night. Carbide is extremely brittle,and could indeed have a crack,or separation from the brazing.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-20-2009 at 9:28 AM.