View Poll Results: Would you, as a Creeker, subscribe to something like this?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

6 42.86%
  • Bad Idea

8 57.14%

Thread: New Feature Idea for the Creek

Blog Entries

New Feature Idea for the Creek

I thought I'd set this up as a poll to see what ya'all think of talking the Mods in to looking in to something like ths.

I have recently joined Etsy - for those of you who don't know, it's a place where craftsmen & women can post their wares in a safe environment.

Etsy charges $0.20 per item that is posted and they get 3.5% of the sale for brokering the deal and offering the platform to sell.

Why could we not have something like that in the creek. It could generate an income flow for the Creek itself and offer the Contributors a place to safely sell their wares. And at the same time, generate some public awareness of the Creek.

Plus - it could very easily become the "go to" place for hand crafted woodworking items - of all types. Etsy is for all things hand made and is cluttered up with stuff that I'm not interested in.

I would gladly pay $0.50 to post an item on the Creek and let them have 3.5% for brokering.

Feel free to enter your pros and cons below..

Just a thought.... What do ya'all think?
    Last edited by Ed Sallee; 08-21-2009 at 9:56 AM.

I know nothing about what it takes for something like this to work but the concept sounds like a great idea for the Creek to generate some extra income.

I am not sure why this is in the tech support area, instead of Offtopic, but I think this is a bad idea.

It puts the Creek, in a Paypal, middleman posistion (legal issues) and since most of their help is unpaid, this would burden them more.

Now, I have NO problem with people paying the $6, becoming a contributer, and donating a percentadge of their through the Creek sales, to help it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    I am not sure why this is in the tech support area, instead of Offtopic, but I think this is a bad idea.
    Well.... I struggled to which topic it should go - thought I made a good choice..... But, here it is. Guess I better stick to the areas in the forum that I'm familiar.

I'm on the fence with it myself.... I have always thought that if the creek ever had a place for it's contributors to post their ways in a controlled, public access situation, would be a cool thing.

I will admit that I have no idea of the logistics behind it....

Ed,

1st Keith, Jackie and Aaron are the one's who would have to be sold on the idea.

Moderators are invited volunteers and while we do have input to what goes on at the Creek, the other 3 have the influence and final decision.

The entire staff here at the Creek have full time day jobs and this really is just volunteer work.

I personally wouldn't want to get involved in it. It would be time consuming and just like the pen swap I'm trying to straighten out right now, it can be a pain in the butt if something goes awry!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Yup..... understand all that.

But, on the other hand, posting fee and 3.5% or some other amount might just make it worth while.

I'm not a proponent either way. Just an idea that I had that I reckon'd might not have been thought about before.

Looks like a bad idea.... which is what my question was.....

Seems like you would have to advertise -another problem- since most of the viewers here are woodworkers themselves, and might say " I could make that, why would I buy it?" I think I've only bought one thing from another woodworker.