Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy a computer processor?

Ever buy a computer processor?

Any suggested sources? The processor is a replacement for a Dell computer.

Ebay has nothing and google only turned-up one vendor with a used one ($100) and one vendor with a new one ($1,200) ...which cracks me up. Dell has one for $385 which is almost as much as I paid for the entire computer!

I thought this would be easy.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Any suggested sources? The processor is a replacement for a Dell computer.

Ebay has nothing and google only turned-up one vendor with a used one ($100) and one vendor with a new one ($1,200) ...which cracks me up. Dell has one for $385 which is almost as much as I paid for the entire computer!

I thought this would be easy.

-Jeff
    which processor are you referring to? prices vary wildly between brands, intel or amd and how long the part has been on the market. are you sure it is the processor and not the motherboard?
    try newegg.com or zoomfly.com

The computer is a Dell Dimension 5100 about 3+ years old. The Processor is listed on the mfr sheet as:

FC756 Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 531, Socket T, EO Male.

I think it is either 2.8 or 3.0 GHz. It seems that the socket is odd ("T"). Perhaps it's proprietary to Dell? Most offerings are either 775 or 478.

I'm not sure if it is the processor or motherboard. It's trial by part replacement. Good thing I'm not a surgeon. So far, I just replaced the power supply with no luck.

-Jeff

You can also try tigerdirect.com, or, I can look around if you posted the processor specs/UPC.

I think that it would be well worth your while to make sure it is the processor rather than the motherboard, like Charles said.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

How does one determine if it's a bad motherboard? Visual inspection did not reveal anything like a broken part or bulged capacitor.

Background: One day, the computer kept trying to reboot upon startup. When I cycled the power button and tried to restart it, absolutely nothing happened. No sound, no diagnostic lights, no nuthin'. After I installed a new power supply, I got the following error (on a black screen with white letters) about 2 seconds after I pushed the start button:

RV370 P/N 113-A62801-104 BIOS

Now, it won't even do that anymore. Once again, when I push the button, it makes no sound. Some research on google mentioned this error. The only closure that I found was a bad processor in one instance.

-Jeff

+1 on NewEgg

Not that it can't happen, but I have never had a CPU die. It has always been the MB. See if you can find the MB info. Besides the Dell info sheet, look on the MB.

You might look at a MB-CPU combo deal. Just make sure your existing memory will work in the new MB and the hard drive interface is compatible.

Good luck,
    Ted

LGA 775, also known as Socket T, is an Intel desktop CPU socket

Hi Jeffrey.

Before running out for a new processor run this little exercise. Look in your computer manual and determine how to enter the BIOS set-up. Then attempt to enter the BIOS screen at power-on time using the instructions you found. IF you can get into the BIOS, you processor is good. The processors tend to be pretty rugged little beasts, when they go out is it often be cause they got too hot. My cup of vending machine coffee says the problem is the mother board.

One other thing you could try is to find a BIOS update floppy disk for your your machine and attempt to install the BIOS. IF it will not install, that pretty much points the fickled finger of fate at the mother board.
    Best Regards, Ken

Checkout pricewatch. It's good way to track down prices. Before you jump though, keep in mind that all computer power supplies are not created equal. If you original crapped out (which they surely do, I've probably replaced them in half a dozen peoples PCs this year). Cheap power supplies are notorious for skimping on the +5 and +3.3 volt rails. I probably wouldn't buy a supply with less than 25 amps on either rail. An Antec True Power TP-550 5550 watt supply will supply 25 amps on both of those rails. It's also rated at 550 watts continuous power output. Most Power supply are rated at their peak (read will burn up if you keep drawing) power output. I'm sure there are equally good manufacturers, but I know Antec makes a good product, so I stick with them (sort of like buying Freud saw blades).

That supply goes for about $80 at NewEgg

The socket t is a bit odd.

You might try looking for the same computer to cannibalize for parts.

I just did a quick Ebay search, and that computer can be bought relatively inexpensively. ($250 or less some buy it now at $250, saw one at $54.00 with a day to go.)

Or, upgrade the motherboard to be compatible with more common processors.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

I have purchased items from Computer Geeks and have been happy with the products and cost.
    I don't want to start a Dell trash post but over the past several years I have personally known 5 friends that have had horrible luck with Dell computers. For around $500 you can get a completely new computer if you shop, it won't have all the bells and whistles but for most general computing needs it will be fine.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    How does one determine if it's a bad motherboard?
    Jeffrey,

My first test would be to swap out the power supply with a known good one.

What makes you think it is the processor or motherboard?
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

The simplest hardware fixes to try:

Unplug cables to devices that may have gone bad such as floppy drives, CD drives and even the Hard Drive if we are just trying to get the machine to boot into it's BIOS.

Reseat the memory.
    Reseat the CPU.
    "Reset the CMOS" by removing the battery on the motherboard or using the jumper near it.
    Replace the motherboard battery.

I've had batteries, motherboards, memory and CPUs go bad on computer systems. Sometimes when other components go bad they can also cause problems.

I agree with Ken Garlock's suggestion. Make your first goal to get into the BIOS setup. Some example methods of doing this are given at:
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

It will be difficult to diagnose the cause of the problem if you can't get the machine to boot. I think the only way a computer shop could do it is to swap parts in and out between your system and a similar system that is known to be good.

I also agree that pricewatch.com's section on CPUs is a good source. It's listings include dealers that sell used CPUs that are pulled from working machines.
    Last edited by Stephen Tashiro; 08-21-2009 at 8:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnson29 View Post

My first test would be to swap out the power supply with a known good one.
    That was my thought, also...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff:

In Paterson there is a Micro Warehouse. They sell a lot of "build your own" parts. You might want to check in with them.

I'm haven't done anything more involved than putting in a replacement CD drive.

Good luck

Jim