Thread: Dado V-cut in corners

Dado V-cut in corners

I having the problem getting the 'V cut' in the corners along with the uneven bottom.

I'm using the Ridgid TS3650 {this doesn't have the problem arbor} along with the Freud SD608.

The cut was a sample on pine, 7/16" cut, 3/4" depth.

Any thoughts,
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

The outer blades have sharply beveled teeth to make a "scoring cut". There are also several square topped "raker teeth" that are supposed to clean up the corners. But if the blade is ground in such a manner that the beveled teeth are slightly higher than the rakers, you will get that little "V" in the corners. I have never been a big fan of "dial type" dado blades. But that is not a "cheap" dado set and it should perform better than that "out of the box".
    David DeCristoforo

It seems a bit out of whack to me. I get the exaggerated bat ears with my 608, but not the grooves you have running down the center line. Because of the ears, I reserve mine for plywood cuts only and use a Forrest set for solid wood.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

Phil,

The V grooves are normal. They should be 0.008" deeper than the rest of the dado. This is to eliminate splintering when cutting across the grain. The irregular bottom is not normal. There is a (slim) possibility that the set was ground incorrectly but this is most often the result of an undersized arbor. Did the components go on the arbor easily?
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.