Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thin Strips

The nice thing about WWing is that any operation can be done 3 or 4 different ways. Lots of waste in that nice birdseye maple using a TS to cut thin strips. Plus, pretty tedious, re-measuring the fence, and resetting the featherboard for each cut. But, lacking a BS, this method will certainly work.

A BS would be my first choice. It's a *dead heat* between sanding out the burn marks from the TS and the tooth marks from the BS. But, you would realize about twice as much finished stock BS'ing it rather than TS'ing.

With the TS the only choice for this operation, I would devise a pusher jig which slides along the fence, keeping the blade fixed at a given distance from the fence, and allows one strip to be cut from the inside edge of the board. A stiff aluminum pusher could be used in case the jig inadvertently touches the blade. Long boards could be started by hand, then the jig lowered behind the board to finish the cut.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Blog Entries
    As Chip states, always more than one way to skin the cat. I've used a method like Joe's and also Ed's method. Ed's method is pretty consistent with the incremental feature on the tablesaw fence Wixey DRO. I probably use the DRO for 'offsets' from a know spot more than as a regular fence guage.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

"Lots of waste in that nice birdseye maple using a TS to cut thin strips..."

That's a fact. But personally I still prefer the TS to the band saw for cutting thin strips. But I use a thin kerf blade. Actually I use a very thin kerf blade, a "Tenryu" with a .063" kerf. By cutting slowly, I typically get a clean enough cut that I can go right to gluing without having to plane or sand the strips. These blades are "iffy" for cutting anything over 7/8" thick because they are very prone to overheating and warping if too much of the blade is buried in the wood. But for ripping thin strips out of 4/4 stock, they are the "cat's meow".
    David DeCristoforo

From the image I can not figure out how this operates.
    Please do elaborate.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73856

Nikki had a great post for a strip cutting sled that doesn't require the fence to be reset each time.

I have a strip sled also, however it doesn't have the vacuum feature that Nikki's does.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks Joe. Got the email and now things are much clearer.

I am going to try out your idea for sure.

Virgil

David, how many tooth is that Tenryu blade? Is that the 6 1/2 ? I totally agree on using the TS to cut thin strips.

It's a 10" blade and I forget, offhand how many teeth. I got a set of "blade stiffening washers" which really help keep it "true". Totally limits the cutting depth but, like I said, I never use for anything thicker than 4/4 stock anyway....
    David DeCristoforo

Simple jig for ripping thin strips on the TS...

Although the band saw is less wasteful, it does leave a rougher surface that usually needs cleanup.

I use the table saw with a simple jig. You can see some pictures of the operationg and the jig here.
    --Mark

TheCraftsmansPath dot com

Here’s also a way of making thin strips and thought it was a pretty good way of doing them.. Here’s how it works you take the piece of wood you want to cut the strips from and put it just next to or touching the blade (stock is in between the fence and the blade) then you take and clamp a piece or wood on your guide rail that your fence rides on. Then you make spacers the thickness of the strips you want to make(surface plainer ). What you do then is take a spacer and place it in between the edge of the wood you clamped to your guide rail and the fence part that rides on the rail and every time you make another strip you add another spacer from the ones you cut. That way they all come out the same size as the spacer ( basically you need to have different size spacers for templates but one nice thing about it is that if you need to repeat this process later down the road you can have the exact same size ) . I hoped I explained it well enough for everybody to understand …Does this make sense?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Another way

And here's a way or repeating cuts without having to move the fence.

http://www.scrgeek.com/pics/ww/jigs/jigEdgeBand.pdf