Thread: 220v surge supressor ?

220v surge supressor ?

I have a Nova DVR wired to a 110v surge supressed outlet. I'm getting ready to re-wire it to 220v. Nova "suggests/requires" a surge supressed outlet. The question is where does one find a 220v surge supressed outlet or surge supressor with american plugs/sockets?
    The circuit is 220/240v and 20 amp. I've done lots of "google" searches and not found anything suitable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

You could consider a "whole house" surge suppressor. They generally install near your main electrical box, and can protect both hots of your house. For instance http://www.smarthome.com/4870/Interm...G1240RC/p.aspx
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 08-22-2009 at 9:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You could consider a "whole house" surge suppressor. They generally install near your main electrical box, and can protect both hots of your house. For instance http://www.smarthome.com/4870/Interm...G1240RC/p.aspx
    What he said. I had my electric company install one at the meter. They add the cost to my bill till it's paid off. They also offer insurance that pays if anything is damaged in a surge. I THINK it' like and extra $2 month.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks for the ideas, I'd like to save this approach as a last resort. I'm really looking for a way to surge protect a dedicated 220 outlet

Google TVSS (transiant voltage surge supressor). You might also look into a breaker made specifically for electric motors such as the PowerPact.