Thread: The internet: my best shop tool

The internet: my best shop tool

I'm beginning to think that the internet (of which sawmill creek is at the center!) is the best tool in my shop.

In the woodshop forum I recently posted about my new lathe, and spoke of my inexperience. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118383)

Tom Hamilton suggested that I check out the American Association of Woodworkers and find a local chapter where I can get some training and education.

I found the local chapter website online, then called vice president Jay Brown. We had a good visit and I'll be attending an all-day seminar next Saturday!

Whiz bang. In the old days I would have been stumbling in the dark on my own for years. Now I get a front row seat looking at the work of the masters.

OK. I'll continue to pay my internet bills. Sawmillcreek is one of my best tools.
    Duane McGuire

"...the internet...is the best tool in my shop..."

Ditto! I have had an internet connected computer in my shop since "day one". Not only does it make resources available "on demand", it allows me to find and order things I need on the spot rather than having to go get in my truck and start looking through stores. Combined with UPS and FedEx, the internet has saved me many hours.
    David DeCristoforo

Does hours on Sawmill Creek count towards getting your shop time? I'd be a master by now if it did!

This is a great place. Do you frequent the turners forum?

"Does hours on Sawmill Creek count towards...shop time?

Several possible answers:
    1) No!
    2) Yes!
    3) Not if you are trying to make a living...
    4) Especially if you are trying to make a living....
    5) Only if you use your "lunch hour"
    David DeCristoforo

Man, you've hit the nail on the head! Not only is it a great for researching tools, getting other people's opinions and the benefit of their experience with certain tools, it really does make shopping a much easier and quicker experience. That's especially true if you're one of those folks like myself who really doesn't care to "go shopping". Even If I did want to "go shopping" it's at least a half day shot to and from the nearest borg.

There are rare occasions that are an exception. If I wish to go into Nashville where there are many more choices of stores, that's at the very least an all day "event", more often than not an overnite trip to visit friends or family and to check out woodworking stores while I'm there. Well, truthfully, I suppose it's the other way around. I visit friends or family WHILE I'm spending the day browsing through woodworking stores in the area!

As for SMC, I tell every woodworker that I know about it. I can still can hardly fathom how much I've learned about woodworking and how much my skills and "tricks" have increased in 2 years or so, since joining this community. It's wonderful.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duane McGuire View Post
    I'm beginning to think that the internet (of which sawmill creek is at the center!) is the best tool in my shop.

In the woodshop forum I recently posted about my new lathe, and spoke of my inexperience. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=118383)

Tom Hamilton suggested that I check out the American Association of Woodworkers and find a local chapter where I can get some training and education.

I found the local chapter website online, then called vice president Jay Brown. We had a good visit and I'll be attending an all-day seminar next Saturday!

Whiz bang. In the old days I would have been stumbling in the dark on my own for years. Now I get a front row seat looking at the work of the masters.

OK. I'll continue to pay my internet bills. Sawmillcreek is one of my best tools.
    In fact the internet has become such a part of our lives that could we continue to exist if it was taken away? I would compare the advent of the internet to that of television coming into existence. its made a huge difference in the way information is sent and received.

Internet

If I would have had the Internet as a kid maybe I could have been smart. It is for sure the biggest information source in the history of the world. I would be lost without it.

"If I would have had the Internet as a kid maybe I could have been smart"

Or maybe you would have spent all your time playing games on the 'net and ended up dumber than you are. Ooo. hey... that didn't come out sounding right...
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "If I would have had the Internet as a kid maybe I could have been smart"

Or maybe you would have spent all your time playing games on the 'net and ended up dumber than you are. Ooo. hey... that didn't come out sounding right...

I'm reminded of an old line from (I think) Firesign Theater: "It's a force so powerful, it can only be used for good or evil!"
    Last edited by Billy Chambless; 08-23-2009 at 5:41 PM.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Think of how many times before the net you would have to go buy a book to find out a solution to a problem and now your just look it up.

Living out here in the treeless, peopleless, storeless, west plains, I can honestly say that without the internet, and resources like Sawmill Creek, that I doubt that I would be able to enjoy my woodworking, or maybe even do it at all. Being able to draw on the collective knowlege of this group, along with the ability to become an educated shopper before you even actually see a product, is a huge benefit. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Living out here in the treeless, peopleless, storeless, west plains, I can honestly say that without the internet, and resources like Sawmill Creek, that I doubt that I would be able to enjoy my woodworking, or maybe even do it at all. Being able to draw on the collective knowlege of this group, along with the ability to become an educated shopper before you even actually see a product, is a huge benefit. Good stuff!

Agreed. Not that I am any good at wwing yet, but I wouldn't even know where to begin without this site.