Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Light

Bandsaw Light

I have an MM16 and need a light for the table. I think a magnetic base would be good. Anyone know of a good source for this? Thanks.

I have one that I bought at Woodcraft for that exact reason and am happy with it.

Lee Valley has one with a magnetic base and also a stud to mount permanently if desired.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43349

I bought a Moffatt Flexible Arm Work Lamp from Iturra Design (904 371-3998), it has an 18" arm and 100 watt bulb, also the metal reflector is protected by a plastic housing. When I am making a cut my mind is on the machine, my hands and the material being cut, I sure do not want a quick surprise of getting burned. The current price is 54.00, if you buy from Louise Iturra he will send his catalog which is like a bandsaw bible.

Heather
    Last edited by Heather Thompson; 08-23-2009 at 8:27 PM.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

I have this unit from Shopsmith. What I like about it is you can buy extra mounting brackets to place on other tools and move the lamp when needed.
    The bracket allows you to use the lamp on non-metal surface like a router table.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...ilitylight.htm

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have a few of the HF lights bought on sale for $10.. It is the same light that others sell in the 25-30 dollar range.

No problems

I have one of the woodcraft flexible lights on my DP (BS came with one built in) and it is just adequate. Not the strongest magnet, kind of a PIA to get at the right angle, generally not the finest piece of work. We have a flex light at work on the bridgeport with one of those magnetic bases with the flip switch like a magnetic dial indicator base that works great. You can put it any where you need it and once that magnet is locked it stays put. It has a goose neck flexible metal shaft that keeps the light out of your eyes and on your work, I think it came from mcmaster Carr, or possibly enco? I have seen them in machinist supply catalogues.

Looks something like this but ours has a longer shaft:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

I just got a nice nickel plated lamp off a real old sewing machine. Put it on my 14" Delta. looks nice,plenty of light.

I have the magnet base, flexable arm light from Delta. Paid about $20 on sale. Best improvement was to get a "N Vision Bulb" from HD. It's a super bright, and white compact fluorescent bulb. Costs about $4.00 each

Band saw light

I have the utility light from LV with the magnet base and flexible arm mounted on a Jet 14 BS. It is very sturdy and I am very satisfied with it.
    If you got to where you were going where would it be?

Blog Entries
    I've got the HF light that Cary shows. I did dip the base in plastic tool handle dip so it wouldn't scratch my saw. Priced right and works just fine. I hardly use it now that I have proper overhead lighting however. My saw is stationary so I was able to install T-8 fixtures where they would eliminate the shadows at the blade/guide area.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was in the Hearth and Grill shop in Nashville yesterday, and they had a couple of different lights for grilling at night. One was a plug-in-the-wall version, and the other used like 4 AA batteries to power it. Either of them would work for it.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I got a set of halogen "puck" lights from Lowe's. Used carpet tape to stick a rare earth magnet to the back, and stuck two on the column,and one on the underside of the upper wheel housing. It's almost too much light.

I had some concerns about filament lights on a machine that vibrates, and I did have one bulb die on me prematurely. I've only had 'em on for about a month, so time will tell. If I find myself replacing bulbs too frequently, they have a similar fluorescent set that I'll replace them with. I put one of those on the drill press, and it throws plenty of light.

I use the same HF ones that Cary posted the link to. They are very good and very low cost. I picked mine up on sale for $7. each. Been working perfectly for 3 years now. Use them on the BS and DP with one extra to move around as needed.
    Kev