Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless variable speed impact screwdriver? Does it exist?

Cordless variable speed impact screwdriver? Does it exist?

I recently used a friend's Makita, similar to TDO20DSEW. It's just a small light cordless LiIon driver. It is, however, not variable speed.

I really liked it for driving and removing screws. Even though it's advertised and sold as a cordless screwdriver, it's not. It does not have variable speed which makes it impossible to use on things like light switches and electrical outlets where you need a little more control.

I searched Amazon and google and didn't find anything.

Thanks - Sam

Sam, Amazon lists this Panasonic: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IVDH24/...SIN=B000IVDH24

Never used it, but I've liked other Panasonic drivers.

Gary

That is more of a drill in my opinion.

I was talking more of the screwdriver kind. Small - lightweight.

Kind of like all the cordless drivers you'd see 25 years ago - but with impact.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-MAKTD02...1144932&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland View Post
    Sam, Amazon lists this Panasonic: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IVDH24/...SIN=B000IVDH24

Never used it, but I've liked other Panasonic drivers.

Gary
    I have, and love, this very driver. It came in a kit with both a drill and the driver (and maybe a flashlight? i forget). Anyway - it's a fantastic driver. The variable speed isn't quite as gradual as a regular drill and takes a little finesse to get used to feather touching it - but you CAN get it to do under 20 rpm without too much trouble.

It's a fantastic kit - It's so good, I don't think i'd even mind how much new batteries will cost when they finally go - they've been good for 3 years so far, tho, so we'll see
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

impact driver for a light switch ... You know the impact is for torque... right?

Both of these claim to be variable speed impact drivers. Niether are screwdiver style but the smaller Makita is very small (2nd link).

http://coastaltool.com/a/makita/6935fdwdex.htm

http://coastaltool.com/a/makita/td090dw.htm

I have the TD090. I use it regularly to install plugs and switches. I got it at home depot on clearance for $74.

I think you need two tools the impact drivers are good for removing screws only you never want to hammer them back in with them. Then get a battery drill or screw driver with a clutch to install the screws.

Most impact drivers well the ones I have used have almost an infinite variable speed. It's called the trigger. Pull just a little and it turns slow. pull a little more and it spins a little faster and so on and so on and so on. With the infinite variability also comes the variability of a working clutch. the lighter you depress the trigger the less power is going to the motor and the less torque and strength of the impacts is also less.

I find using an impact driver on the smallest screws very easy. Just take it easy on the trigger guys. Its not that complicated.

I use a Makita 18v lion impact and have used the dewalt and panasonics. the Dewalts are complete junk and do not have the ability take it easy on fasteners. The panasonics are nice but not as nice as the Makita.
    Fullerbuilt

Hello,
    It does not have variable speed which makes it impossible to use on things like light switches and electrical outlets where you need a little more control.
    Impact = overkill for stuff like that.
    Not only that, but even the lightest of them are too heavy.
    Clutch type drivers are pretty useless also due to the huge variation of torque needed.

The absolute best "cordless screwdriver" I've found for screws on switches, outlets & doorknobs, is the low end Black and Decker AS600.
    You can pick one up for under $20.00. Half that amount on certain sales.

It's a 130 RPM, under 20 inch pound of torque straight line driver that uses 4 AA batteries.

FWIW - I also have 4 other cordless screwdrivers & 4 cordless drill/drivers.

Crack the plastic on a few outlet covers & you'll quickly wish for a much slower/lower torque tool.
    Or crossthread a doorknob screw & ruin a lockset.

Check the Bosch PS40-2A. It's a 12volt lithium, variable speed impact driver.

I've got both the Makita 18v LiIon impact driver (with the small battery) and the Makita drill/driver that uses the same batteries. And I hardly ever reach for the drill/driver; the impact driver does it all. And it's smaller and lighter, if noisier. As Eiji said, speed and torque control is all in the trigger. It's a great little tool. As a nice plus, if you need longer run times between the relatively fast recharges, the bigger Makita LiIon battery fits too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiji Fuller View Post
    Most impact drivers well the ones I have used have almost an infinite variable speed. It's called the trigger. Pull just a little and it turns slow. pull a little more and it spins a little faster and so on and so on and so on.

Agreed! Im wondering if whats really being asked is varible amount of driving force? i.e. a clutch.

Bosch PS40 if you want impact with "variable" speed via the trigger.

Bosch PS20 if you want variable speed with a clutch, but no impact.

I have both, and they are both great. I would use the PS20 for electrical switches, switchplates, etc. I use the PS40 to drive a few longer screws when framing smaller things (medicine cabinet recess, etc)

I guess I did a fairly poor job of explaining what I was looking for.

I used the little makita that I mentioned above last week and really liked it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the trigger made the tool ON or OFF. No variable speed - only one speed - maximum.

I want this same tool - only with a variable speed trigger.

Yes, I know impact is for driving those 3 inch screws into oak. Yes, I know that a forceful driver will crack a light switch.

What I want is one (small and light) tool that will do it all. I think that if the makita I linked to above had a variable speed trigger I could leave my drill at home for most jobs.

I'll have to look for that little makita VS linked above. The price tag is a little high - I can wait until clearance though.

Thanks - Sam

I have a Panasonic Impact Driver, prior model with NiMH batteries. Mine is the version with the electronic clutch. It has a variable speed trigger.

I also have the Bosch 12V mini impact driver. It is my go to driver, but it labors on larger screws. If driving more than a few, or longer screws, I then reach for the Panasonic. I'd say it drives screws 5X faster than the Bosch.