Thread: Outdoor chair in white oak

Outdoor chair in white oak

Should I just leave it bare with no stain or finish? And let it weather naturally?

Any thoughts?

If you have an FineWoodworking.com account you can watch a short video with an expert on the subject. He advises it is a futile battle and prefers to let the wood gray naturally.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/subsc...n-bench-video/

James

I have seen the video before and the more I think about it.. I agree about just letting it weather naturally as James pointed out...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

ok. thanks. I dont have a subscription to that site so I can see the video but I like the idea of no finish on it.

Stain it grey with a semi solid
    this will add a little protection to it and speed the process of it turning grey

if the chair is not in the sun and gets wet it can turn black in areas

Semi solid could be a good choice. Its easy to reapply if needed. I have done my patio, outdoor stairs and even a gazebo roof with Behr semi solid and its going on 5 years and doesnt need a recoat yet.

The argument for no finish in the FWW video is that you will spend the rest of your life refinishing it unless you paint it. Then you will only be periodically refinishing. Let it gray, keep it dry and let it dry out when it does get wet.

With White Oak, you can either renew a good, clear finish every couple of years, paint and re-paint every 5 years or, if left bare, rebuild every 8-10 years when it rots.

If you use any metal fasteners other than stainless steel, it will also turn black and streak around them.

I just finished some Garden chairs and an Adirondack chair in Cedar. The Garden chairs are underneath our Gazebo and don't get much direct sunlight so I finished them with Helmsmans varnish from the box store.

The Adirondack chair is in the open and exposed to all the elements. I finished it with Epifanes marine varnish per their instructions...1 coat thinned 50%. 1 coat thinned 25%, one coat thinned 15% and four coats at full strength. I'm hoping that I can sand and re-coat every couple of years and keep the chair looking good. We'll see.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln