Thread: DYWS Plaques

DYWS Plaques

I don't mean to gloat, especially with some of us having a hard time in this business. But me and the wife, mostly the wife, have "bird-dogged" this job for over a year.

Our little town hosted the Dixie Youth World Series this year and the Recreational Supervisor, who was the person responsible for getting our town to host the event, for the city liked our plaques and wanted to present every player with one. After some negotiating, we made 360 of the 6" plaques and 14 of the 12" plaques. These designs come from the "Sample Pack" that Laserbuzz sells.

We felt as honored to do these as the city was to host the DYWS.

Anthony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Congratulations! Nice work and good bird-dogging!
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Beautiful work Tony, they look amazing.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Those look great, and don't worry about gloating - you worked hard for this job in more ways than one. Glad your perseverance paid off and I'm sure you made the event even more memorable for all involved.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Congrats Anthony good work & sounds like you earned it.
    Question: When doing those plaques, have you come up with an efficient way of applying the finish?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Congratulations Anthony, well done!
    How are they meant to be displayed; is there a keyhole or something in the back for hanging?
    Margaret Turco

60 watt Universal V-460, Coreldraw X4

Very nice job Anthony......in more ways than one.

Would be interested in knowing how you made those....is the maroon part painted wood?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Anthony

My compliments on your work and your marketing.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nice Job!

Anthony,

Great work. Like Steve, I'd like to know more about your process.
    ---------------------
    ULS VersaLASER 2.30, 25Watt, Blue
    Corel Draw X4
    Standing on first base with a hockey stick waiting for a field goal.

Thank You!

Question: When doing those plaques, have you come up with an efficient way of applying the finish?
    Tim, our process that we came up with is cut, sand, stain alternating pieces different colors (we use wipe on MinWax), spray paint or stain background, assemble, and spray a couple of coats of lacquer.

Would be interested in knowing how you made those....is the maroon part painted wood?
    Steve, Tom did have some videos on his web site that he demonstrated the assembly, but those are gone now. but with each cd you get comes a dvd/cd with those videos and also clips of the finished product for use in web sites, pamplets, so-forth. These were actually painted backgrounds red and navy blue.

How are they meant to be displayed; is there a keyhole or something in the back for hanging?
    Margaret, the larger ones have an adjustable slot on the background, that is convienetly hidden, for hanging. The smaller ones, he has included in the cd, a little cutout stand designs for those.

The larger ones are 3D, means each piece from the background is raised using spacers. The smaller ones are 1D and the front is directly glued to the background. Also the smaller ones we rastered the lettering whereas the larger ones have the letters vector cut to show the background colors.

Thanks again,
    Anthony
    Last edited by Anthony Welch; 08-25-2009 at 4:15 PM.

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Thanks for taking the time to explain Anthony.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Absolutely, Thanks again!

Anthony, where do you get your supply of wood?
    ---------------------
    ULS VersaLASER 2.30, 25Watt, Blue
    Corel Draw X4
    Standing on first base with a hockey stick waiting for a field goal.

where do you get your supply of wood?
    Todd, Mike Kowalczyk has the sheets pre-cut.
    He posts on SMC. Look him up in the member list.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Great Job! Timewise, how long on average did it take to make each size? (I know you do this in stages, but did you figure out an average, and is that how you figured out what to charge for these?)

Timewise, how long on average did it take to make each size? (I know you do this in stages, but did you figure out an average, and is that how you figured out what to charge for these?)
    Lisa,

The 12" plaques took approx. 1hr 20 min to do the face and background of 4 plaques. the 6" plaques took approx 1hr 20 min to do 8 face sides only.

Why so long on the 6" you say, since these are smaller and vector cutting the smaller letters and images tend to break off when sanding. I choose to raster the lettering and changed some of the design like the ballcap bill so it would not cut out. This was my personnal preference to make a better product, the way I saw it.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS